Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 161

Thread: York

  1. #131
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    3,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    and a bit more on the Blue Bell petition here: (I've signed)

    http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1668...blue-bell-pub/
    Also signed
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  2. #132
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,173

    Default


    I've signed it more on the basis that the people who run Punch are clueless cretins. I know for a fact that I've been to this pub more than once but the last time was around 20 years ago and I don't recall being that excited about it, mainly with regard to the beer choice.

  3. #133
    This Space For Hire sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    2,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I've signed it more on the basis that the people who run Punch are clueless cretins.
    ...in which case you are very likely wasting your time!

    I, on the other hand, have not signed it, because the article states that "the petition said 'the regular customers who are the source of the majority of The Blue Bell’s revenue” had “made it very clear that they will not support the pub under the proposed retail agreement.' As I have only been to the Blue Bell on three or four occasions over the last decade, I don't see how I can in all honesty put my name to the petition.

    Though of course I am fully behind the pub's regulars and sympathise with their predicament.

    If the petition had said "the people who run Punch are clueless cretins" I'd have been on it like a shot. (Maybe still a waste of time, but at least I could put my name to it.)
    Come On You Hatters!

  4. #134
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    ...in which case you are very likely wasting your time!

    I, on the other hand, have not signed it, because the article states that "the petition said 'the regular customers who are the source of the majority of The Blue Bell’s revenue” had “made it very clear that they will not support the pub under the proposed retail agreement.' As I have only been to the Blue Bell on three or four occasions over the last decade, I don't see how I can in all honesty put my name to the petition.

    Though of course I am fully behind the pub's regulars and sympathise with their predicament.

    If the petition had said "the people who run Punch are clueless cretins" I'd have been on it like a shot. (Maybe still a waste of time, but at least I could put my name to it.)
    I'm in the same position as SH, but did sign because on my now rare visits to York, the Blue Bell is my "go to" pub, much as I dislike the term.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  5. #135

    Default

    Been in in the last 12 months and will be again soon so signed.

    The York drinking scene seems to evolve constantly so does anyone know of anywhere new, which needs visiting, popping up in the last 12 months or so?
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

  6. #136
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,870

    Default

    Bit more on the Blue Bell saga from the MA,

    https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...e-gathers-pace

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  7. #137
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Been in in the last 12 months and will be again soon so signed.

    The York drinking scene seems to evolve constantly so does anyone know of anywhere new, which needs visiting, popping up in the last 12 months or so?
    Well if you really want pop-up this is new Piccadilly Tap / Cuckoo I haven't been yet so pot luck as well.

    other newish places are
    Bistro Guy (getting good reviews elsewhere but I've not been in.
    House of the Trembling Madness (the new one)
    Valhalla

    and there's Brew York's new beer hall upstairs from the brewery, I haven't been here yet either, maybe next week I'll have a crawl of York.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  8. #138
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Limehouse Cut
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Bit more on the Blue Bell saga from the MA,

    https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/...e-gathers-pace
    Thanks for posting this,I object to Punch serving a Section 25 Notice in this case and have signed the petition as a result.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  9. #139
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Well, of course the regular customers are 'the source of the majority of the Blue Bell's revenue', especially in light of the hostile policy toward casual visitors.
    I wouldn't sign anything to support someone who seems to think it fitting to run a public house in a manner more befitting a private club. That said, I have little doubt that my view would be different if I happened to be one of the regular elite...

  10. #140
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Well, of course the regular customers are 'the source of the majority of the Blue Bell's revenue', especially in light of the hostile policy toward casual visitors.
    I wouldn't sign anything to support someone who seems to think it fitting to run a public house in a manner more befitting a private club. That said, I have little doubt that my view would be different if I happened to be one of the regular elite...
    Point 1: the policy of putting the "private party" sign was under the previous landlord who's now gone.
    Point 2: the pub is far too small to have in the oafish stag & hen parties that plague York or indeed large groups of anyone.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

Similar Threads

  1. the york tap
    By hondo in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 22-03-2013, 09:00
  2. BPM York
    By oldboots in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 23:22
  3. york tap bar
    By hondo in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-07-2011, 11:44
  4. York
    By Rex_Rattus in forum Requests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14-06-2010, 18:12
  5. Alleycats, York
    By oldboots in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-12-2009, 11:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •