Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 28 Feb 2010)

A couple of decent pints of Adnams Gunhill poured into the mix tonight. Have no idea where this week is going but I'm enjoying it so far. A Peculiar Beast seems called for......your health, lads..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

I had Outlaws (Couldn't remember its brewery) at The Bole Bridge last nite. One of hoppiest I ever had and is at mind boggling 6.2%! I wasn't even aware of alcohol proof until I ordered 3th pint.. Oh dear!

Needless to say I swagged away to bus station and had funny looks from waiting bus passengers while I was trying to stand up..

In other JDW.. The Silk Kite.. I havent had a decent real ale in there for while now. I had Sporran's Porter which is very disappointing and tasted absolutely NOTHING!
    Last edited by hopwas; 25-02-2010 at 21:40.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    In other JDW.. The Silk Kite.. I havent had a decent real ale in there for while now. I had Sporran's Porter which is very disappointing and tasted absolutely NOTHING!
    Does this mean you're moving pubs, hoppy, old son....
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Does this mean you're moving pubs, hoppy, old son....
    Not yet... I am praying Silk Kite will get improve with their hopeless choice of ales. There is quite big difference with 2 JDWs in town...

Silk Kite.. used to sells 4 to 5 on sale but recently they only sells 1 to 2. I dont know why.

The Bole Bridge.. Far cheaper and 8 real ales on sale BUT further away from home than Silk Kite.

Seems that I am spending more time in The Bole Bridge than Silk Kite this week!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Thankfully off call now and back in the real world. Some new ones on tonight in The Edward Rayne(Raynes Park). JW Lees Game On, Three B's Pinch Noggin, Jenning's Sneck Lifter and Holden's Golden Glow.

My beer of the night.....as I haven't a week....is the Golden Glow. Light, hoppy and still quite bitter as befits a black country brew. Good stuff.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not so much botw, but choice of the week, to date, is veering toward Croydon's George, where I found myself for a sharpener yesterday; they again had the wonderful Bishops Farewell, plus JHB, Exmoor Beast, Twickenham Sundancer & Grandstand, Jaipur IPA, plus the standard tosh, £1.89.
    I'm pretty sure that the ensuing crawl of Cricketers (Shirley Rd), Bree Louise, Pineapple (Kentish Town), Junction Tavern, & Southampton (the pub, not the place) offered a very good selection too, but I just can't remember what they were. HTM69 will enjoy that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Cottage Brewery's Norman Conquest MM.
    Cottage is the only brewery I've had to turn down because of price. They offered my a 9 of their beer, delivered direct, for less than what I worked out the local brewery could brew for. I've tried a couple of their beers, and not for me. I'm afraid.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Had a stinking cold all week so taste buds a little jaded , only Three Tuns , Clerics Cure . Pictish Claymore and Peerless Hibre Gold had any taste , so the choice goes to ...... Pictish Claymore
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Thankfully off call now and back in the real world. Some new ones on tonight in The Edward Rayne(Raynes Park). JW Lees Game On, Three B's Pinch Noggin, Jenning's Sneck Lifter and Holden's Golden Glow.

I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter the other night, and jolly good it was too. However, I have to say that I found the name a bit confusing, as sneck lifting is not something that I have heard of happening in the South. Luckily I was with a chum from somewhere up North, who explained that a "sneck" was a northern word for a "latch" (which is apparently some sort of door fastening device) - thus if a punter is a bit short of the readies and only has enough for his first drink that is seen as sufficient for him to "lift the sneck", thus gaining admittance to the pub in the hope that less pecuniarily embarrassed chums will see him OK for the rest of the evening. Fascinating what you learn in pubs, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I had a pint of Jennings Sneck Lifter the other night, and jolly good it was too.
    Rather surprisingly, I came across the same beer as a guest in a Charles Wells pub in Bedford the other night, and jolly good that was too!