Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This one's easy for me, it's the Potters Bar Spoons The Admiral Byng. I generally only go to non-Spoons if I am confident that they will be worth the visit, the minimum requirement being a GBG listing and not being a total rip-off (eg Brewdog), so it was never going to be anything but a Spoons. I re-read my review of it from last Spring and thought I was being fairly generous.

Apart from being a below par Spoons, it doesn't help the fact that Potters Bar High Street is such a drab and boring place.

WPOTY The Admiral Byng in Potters Bar
    I was going to say that you beat me to. Also the service is diabolical as you tend to get all regulars hanging around the bar Plus I always get short measures I don't think once Ive not had to ask for a top up. Also the Ales is never in what Id call excellent condition. Worst Spoons of the lot in my opinion.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire

This one tragically is a clear front runner. The lack of contrition from M&B is appalling.

This Space For Hire

This is a thread I feel compelled to comment on but which I'm struggling to have a suitable contender for!

As ever with these competitions, there is a value to the most recent. And so for the fact I witnessed the landlady take a half full pint (from where who knows), pour more slops into it, then top it up, and then serve it, the The Rovers Return is my nomination. Appalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This one's easy for me, it's the Potters Bar Spoons The Admiral Byng. I generally only go to non-Spoons if I am confident that they will be worth the visit, the minimum requirement being a GBG listing and not being a total rip-off (eg Brewdog), so it was never going to be anything but a Spoons. I re-read my review of it from last Spring and thought I was being fairly generous.

Apart from being a below par Spoons, it doesn't help the fact that Potters Bar High Street is such a drab and boring place.

WPOTY The Admiral Byng in Potters Bar
    Maybe they should sack the manager - 'pour encourager les autres'...?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I've not been in any truly appalling pubs this year, but the most disappointing has to be The Duchess of Cambridge Stamford Brook, W6. I've called in three times now and on each occasion the beer quality has been poor, with those on stillage particularly bad. (I'd get rid of the lot, quite frankly, to increase turnover on the pumps). I've never seen more than a handful of people in the place, which probably speaks volumes. I so wanted to like this place, as it's a five minute walk from where I usually stay in W12. However, I've all but given up on it, particularly as The Raven has recently upped its game and The Tabard seems to do it so much better.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

There's a lot of stiff competition for this title, but this one shades it for me.

Fortunately, due to much diligent research, I've managed to keep standards high over the last 12 months so there isn't a huge list for WPOTY. These though are worth noting:
    Already mentioned by Mr Fastard, the most disappointing for me post all the hype was Just Beer in Newark. What were CAMRA thinking for this to have made the top 10 for pub of the year?
    Again, along with Mr Fastard, The Royal Oak, Blisworth was probably the worst pub of 2012 but it isn't getting the award.
    Instead, WPOTY goes to The Althorpe Coaching Inn, Great Brington for the alarming pace of its decline over 2012. I sincerely hope that this is arrested and turned around in 2013.

Congratulations to The Albert Edward in Eccles for getting my award.

I didn't even get to try the beer, as the barman was so far up his own arse. and one for luck

Sam Smiths, you need to do some customer service training.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    And indeed their beer.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    You may have seen mention of this hair-raising site before, but it might open a few eyes...

http://samsmiths.info/