Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Pub of the year

I'll stay on me own

Default Worst Pub of the year

We always remember good pubs but i remember bad ones just the same, one pub that comes into mind when i think of the worst pub i have been in 2012.

This is my nomination for worst pub of the year for 2012 BrewDog

This pub had a very poor interia with very uncomfortable seating,very expensive beer and to top it all very FIZZY beer,i will never go in one of their pubs again.

Its a toss up between The Hope Tap and Far From The Madding Crowd
    It may surprise some readers ,the former is a Spoons ,the latter in my view Spoonsesque , just coincidence I'm sure but I didn't like either and very unlikely to return.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I thought this would a harder choice than it turned out, I thought about a few pubs in Abingdon but the problem wasn't the pub but the bloody awful Morlands Original most of them sell, then there were a couple of shockers in Gloucester but they had too much character and eccentricity to be the worst, there was also a monstrosity in genteel Witney that I nearly chose but then I remembered Headingley with its grotesque collection at the bottom end of Otley Road. The only trouble was putting my finger on which was the least enjoyable of a poor bunch but a really worthy winner has to be The Original Oak

This Space For Hire

I would nominate just about any Hungry Horse. This one, near me, went the extra mile in the race to the bottom recently.

This one's easy for me, it's the Potters Bar Spoons The Admiral Byng. I generally only go to non-Spoons if I am confident that they will be worth the visit, the minimum requirement being a GBG listing and not being a total rip-off (eg Brewdog), so it was never going to be anything but a Spoons. I re-read my review of it from last Spring and thought I was being fairly generous.

Apart from being a below par Spoons, it doesn't help the fact that Potters Bar High Street is such a drab and boring place.

WPOTY The Admiral Byng in Potters Bar

Looking through my lowest ratings, I've only awarded one 1 in 2012, and I didn't even get a drink there, but that was bad service rather than bad pub. On the other hand, this place got a 2 but that wasn't so much because it was a bad pub, just not my cup of tea. Among several 3s were pubs that should have been good but for various reasons weren't. I don't like to dwell too much on bad pubs (after all, this website is about promoting the pub experience, so I prefer to concentrate on the good ones), but for pretentiousness, poor service and dull sub-ordinary beer, my nomination for WPOTY is The Hawley Arms. (But other reviewers have found it not so bad, so perhaps I was in a foul mood that day!)
    Come On You Hatters!

Mine was the Anglesea Arms in Woolwich. Felt very uncomfortbale. Never got round to saying how rubbish it was (one of my 900'ish in the backlog) but fortunately Rex has set the tone already.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

A great disappointment for me was Just Beer Micropub in Newark,but it ended up in the last 10 of CAMRA's Pub of the Year so what do I know.

Although I have been in lots of indifferent pubs, I rarely give low marks but for sheer uncaring and unfriendly service ,the Royal Oak wins this award for 2012.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

The worst pub I visited this year was The Prince George in Thornton Heath, although a number of cafe bars, hotel bars and pub/club type venues ran it close.

Disappointment of the year was the Dogstar, Brixton - as an Antic pub it promised much, but it turned out to be a dive with a poor beer selection.

Worst service of the year was in the Bright Helm, Brighton - The sort of 'Spoons that gives the chain a bad name.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Not too sure The Waterfront had too many rivals for this award in the last year.