Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pub of the year

I am going to plump for the Coopers Tavern, Burton on Trent. Coopers Tavern

I just stumbled across the pub whilst walking into town from the canal on a non-planned day out in Burton.

I came across a few Joules pubs on my travels this year and have been impressed with all of them.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I'm going to stick my neck out here and nominate a pub that has only opened during the latter half of the year and that is the Bell in Walthamstow E17. It's a landmark pub on the junction of Hoe Street and Forest Road (the bus stop is called Bell Corner). It's a magnificent Victorian building quite reminiscent of the William IV in Leyton.

It's been taken over by former Antic people and it is now bare floorboards with a bank of 8 pumps. There are no TV screens at all which is a huge plus for me but they do have live music at weekends.

They still have some way to go as they haven't get their gas supply sorted out which means that food is very limited. I'm hoping that when the gas company gets it's act together then they will be open at 12:00 rather than 16:00 at least at the end of the week.

They do 10% discount for CAMRA members which reduces the price of the beer to just over three quid as opposed to the £3.30 to £3.50 mark.

I've been here twice since it opened and one of the reasons I am happy to nominate it is that it was such a completely dire dump before which I had the misfortune to visit some 15 or more years ago.

The new owners are nice people that believe in what they are doing so I wish them well.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

A bit of a toss up between Crown Posada and The Albion but I think the latter just shades it.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

With an honorable mention for The Philharmonic, Liverpool, my favourite pub of the year was The Sussex Arms, Twickenham. Everything that The Duchess of Cambridge (nominated in my worst pub of the year) should be, but isn't.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 07-01-2013 at 13:50.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

My nomination this year is:

Old Bell & Crown

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    With an honorable mention for The Philharmonic, Liverpool, my favourite pub of the year was The Sussex Arms, Twickenham. Everything that The Duchess of Cambridge (nominated in my worst pub of the year) should be, but isn't.
    The Sussex Arms is top of my pubs to visit in 2013, but it’s a bit of a journey from down here in Eastbourne. I’ve been in the King’s Arms around the corner a few times before and after watching rugby at Twickenham. It was the local of a good friend of mine who lives around the corner. Haven’t seen him for years, but he probably now uses the Sussex now if it is that good.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    I am going to plump for the Coopers Tavern, Burton on Trent. Coopers Tavern

I just stumbled across the pub whilst walking into town from the canal on a non-planned day out in Burton.

I came across a few Joules pubs on my travels this year and have been impressed with all of them.
    "Joule's Brewery is planning to open a further six pubs"
    http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Busi...-1m-investment
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

A few to go at here so, excluding those already mentioned in this thread, the runners and riders are:

The Organ Grinder - Nottingham. For fabulous Blue Monkey beer.
    The Boltmakers Arms - Keighley. For fabulous TT Landlord.
    Far from The Madding Crowd - Oxford. I agree with Moby, it is like a 'spoons but it had the best beer selection I found in Oxford.
    The Shoulder of Mutton - Wantage. Lovely pub and great beer.
    The Treacle Tap - Macclesfield. The best micropub I've visited so far.
    The Marble Arch. For some of the best beer in the world, if not the best.

POTY was The Shoulder of Mutton as it was so unexpectedly good on all fronts. Interesting building, friendly staff and locals, good selection of fine ale and there was a beer festival on when I visited. Top class.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    Far from The Madding Crowd - Oxford. I agree with Moby, it is like a 'spoons but it had the best beer selection I found in Oxford.
    Maybe I was unlucky but I didn't find the beer choice that good on my one and only visit,but even if the choice was excellent it wouldn't have made my POTY, It would need several other factors, i.e, a good ambience ,in the pub itself and across the bar,the setting,not so important but may help the experience, but overall you have to enjoy your visit/visits, none of these happened for me at this pub, I feel I may be in the minority in this case but horses for courses,makes life interesting.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

definitely the Sussex Arms Twickenham for me.i have always enjoyed drinking in Twick and this make it a great destination.