Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The Falcon, Ponders End

Default The Falcon, Ponders End

Still can't get the 'Add pub' feature working in IE8, so can you please add:

The Falcon, 115 South Street, Ponders End, Enfield, EN3 4PX

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi rpadam,

We have added The Falcon.

With regards to the add pub problem, it is clearly not intermittent for you. We have no other reports of the add pub system not working and some of those adding pubs are using IE8, so I think it is something specific to your system. My best guess is it is something to do with your systems security not being happy about the cross site authentication we are doing with Google Maps, although I have to admit that doesn't sound very convincing as I am assuming you see all the embedded maps and they should have the same constraints.

Is there a specific failure message you get when trying to use it?

I am happy enough transcribing them from the forum in any case, but I can understand it being frustrating for you.

Thanks a lot for letting us know about that.

The really strange thing is that it worked for the first times I added pubs, but then stopped for no reason that I can think of (just like the 'remember me' feature on the main site suddenly started working). No IE8 error message is given, just a little yellow warning triangle at the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hmm, I think that is a Javascript error, none of the script has changed that I know about and I don't think it uses any of the shared libraries. If you click on the triangle it should open a window that allows you to get at the error, if you can copy and paste that in I may be able to work out the issue.

Again though, only worry if you can be bothered as this could end up taking a lot of iterations once we start investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Hmm, I think that is a Javascript error, none of the script has changed that I know about and I don't think it uses any of the shared libraries. If you click on the triangle it should open a window that allows you to get at the error, if you can copy and paste that in I may be able to work out the issue.

Again though, only worry if you can be bothered as this could end up taking a lot of iterations once we start investigating.
    Conrad,

This is the error message I get:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2)
    Timestamp: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:35:36 UTC

Line: 11
    Char: 3
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/ajax/pubadd_process.php

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks for that, I am looking into this, there may be a simple solution from my end.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Just uploaded a minor change, I don't really see it making any difference, but on the off-chance. The error does seem to indicate that your copy of IE has decided that it is looking at another domain, which it isn't. The only other thing I can think of is that it is the ad-blocker in operation, but since a new window is not being opened I don't think it is that.

The recognised solution is apparently to add Pubs Galore to your trusted sites, but I wouldn't advise doing that, for the simple reason that we show ads on the site, so even if you do trust us you shouldn't trust them.