Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - December 2012

Default Pub Of The Month - December 2012

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I felt I should contribute to this post as I actually visited a couple of pubs this week that weren't Spoons or the William IV in Leyton which is generally my pub of the month full stop.

I will give this award to the Cock Tavern in Hackney, the sister pub to the Southampton Arms in Gospel Oak. It's a beer and cider festival and the youngsters who were running the bar and I imagine the brewery were friendly and quite happy to accomodate the ramblings of an old soak (it was chucking it down that day).

Years ago I used to play darts in this area and clearly remember what a horror most of the pubs used to be.
    I passed the entrance to The Old Ship after leaving here and I distincly recall darting in here and what a dump it was.

I don't recall ever going in here in those days, but like the Southampton it's the last place you would expect to see flourish under a completely new approach to sell just loads of quality real ale, obscure ciders and the most basic food. No Karaoke, third rate "tribute" acts, discos or big screen sports with the crowd of congenital morons "supporting" their team by blocking the bar and screaming vitriol and abuse at a screen while they consume the one drink they have bought before leaving after the match is over.

I would certainly return here if I felt flushed just to try more Howling Hops brews, but if you're not afraid of the non Spoons prices then I would certainly recommend it.

Moby and others should relax as I'm not going to nominate a Spoons any time soon. While I am a fan I can't help thinking that they are more giant continental Cafe/Bars rather than pubs.

It's really refreshing to see the return of the basic boozer although most of the ones I recall from my depraved younger days either sold a badly kept real ale or just rubbish keg.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Moby and others should relax as I'm not going to nominate a Spoons any time soon. While I am a fan I can't help thinking that they are more giant continental Cafe/Bars rather than pubs..
    Thank god for that.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Default the hanging bat

Hanging Bat An excellent addition to an area that was better known as a stag do rat run to and from Edinburgh's "pubic triangle".
    Last edited by hondo; 19-12-2012 at 12:00.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

My winner for this month The Final Whistle. Excellent pub and fantastic range of ales. Already looking forward to a return visit.
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 21-12-2012 at 20:54.

Not ventured very far this month ,but a trip to Reading gave me Decembers POTM
    The Nags Headwith stiff competition from the Alehouse.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Some good pubs in Derbyshire this month:my pub of the month, and most likely year, is The Three Stags' Heads at Wardlow Mires.A proper pub, proper landlord, proper barman, proper beer, proper food, proper dogs and no bullsh$t.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

I'm giving this to the Millstone Millstone Inn Hotel

It has been utterly ridiculous walking around Manchester to work out which pubs fancied giving a f***ing s&^t opening today on Boxing Day. Some pubs have websites and didn't bother to tell people when they would be open (Port St Beer House, etc). Some pubs don't have websites and couldn't be bothered putting up a sign telling people when they would be open (70% of them).

This pub was open. It served a couple of nice Plum Puddings by Lees. Not the best pint by a million miles, but tasty enough and for doing that it deserves pub of the month.

This time of year is the worst for pub regular and it is nice for one to acknowledge those punters who do the hard toil of keeping them open through the year.

Wetherspoons also do well.

I'll stay on me own

My pub of the month goes to the New Inn a very quirky pub that is unaltered inside,well worth a visit if in the Coalville area.

This Space For Hire

the Sussex Arms twickenham is a lovely friendly pub that ticks all the boxes.great beer range and can see this pub heading for many awards.How can they open a pub 18 months ago and get it so right when others are struggling to attract customers.