Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Ale for the pub.

Glass Half Empty

Post Ale for the pub.

Has anyone tested the ale, made specially for pubs, to see if they taste the same, but are just badged differently depending on which pub has them.

Arthurish

Only a brewpub would make a beer solely for sale in their own pub, and it would have to be a tiny plant. If a pub doing a house beer gets in the GBG they invariably seem to expose it for what it is. I've never tested it, but to me the whole idea is pretty pointless. Any pub that does a house beer without being up front about it's true identity is almost certainly selling something inferior like Courage Best or Directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurish View Post
    Has anyone tested the ale, made specially for pubs, to see if they taste the same, but are just badged differently depending on which pub has them.
    I mentioned one in my review of this pub near me. If it's a beer you like, then all well and good, but rebadged beers don't usually come with tasting notes. I suppose the point is to encourage beer scorers, who will bottle anything with a different name.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthurish View Post
    Arthurish
    In some sort of strange death wish akin to beer Russian roulette , I always try a badged house ale to see if it is any good and if the bar keeps are not forthcoming with the information, to try and guess what it is..

One of the more famous ones in London is http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubreviews/24203/ and although the bar staff are too dopey to know what the George Inn Ale really is, its not difficult to spot another GK brew in the form of Morland Original.
    Another one I came across was at The Red Lion ,and at least here the pub advertised their Lion Pride as being brewed "especially for the pub by the Rebellion brewery", but tasted spookily similar to the standard Rebellion Red.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I mentioned one in my review of this pub near me. If it's a beer you like, then all well and good, but rebadged beers don't usually come with tasting notes. I suppose the point is to encourage beer scorers, who will bottle anything with a different name.
    It actually discourages scorers/tickers as its not a new beer and there is one less handpump for new beers in the future.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    In some sort of strange death wish akin to beer Russian roulette , I always try a badged house ale to see if it is any good and if the bar keeps are not forthcoming with the information, to try and guess what it is..

One of the more famous ones in London is http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubreviews/24203/ and although the bar staff are too dopey to know what the George Inn Ale really is, its not difficult to spot another GK brew in the form of Morland Original.
    Another one I came across was at The Red Lion ,and at least here the pub advertised their Lion Pride as being brewed "especially for the pub by the Rebellion brewery", but tasted spookily similar to the standard Rebellion Red.
    Rebellion are probably too big a brewer to brew a batch for a small pub but they sometimes dry hop the firkins which would make it a new beer but the taste would be pretty similar the the origonal beer such as Rebellion Red.