Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with photos please

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Sitting at home on a rainy day off this one has grabbed my attention. I have spent far too long than is healthy trying to solve the second picture, there is just a chance, just a chance it could be Rose & Crown Inn which would require a serious makeover, chimney reduction, window alterations, new boundary walls and conservatory but the proportions work as does the power line above. Site next door would have been redeveloped too but looks on Alan's photo to be feasible. Unlikely but could be it.
    What a vivid imagination you have!

The building next door looks like another pub (or ex-pub), and it's got to have been built before the second world war, I reckon, therefore should have featured in Al's photo.
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Sitting at home on a rainy day off this one has grabbed my attention. I have spent far too long than is healthy trying to solve the second picture, there is just a chance, just a chance it could be Rose & Crown Inn which would require a serious makeover, chimney reduction, window alterations, new boundary walls and conservatory but the proportions work as does the power line above. Site next door would have been redeveloped too but looks on Alan's photo to be feasible. Unlikely but could be it.
    Thanks for looking into this for me Maldenman,

I think the Rose and Crown you found might be this one,i did the pub on the 2 September 1988,photo taken same day

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNV00122.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNV00039.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1005 both pubs were done around 1988/1989 but has you can see they are different and were different brewerys one Hansons the other Holdens.

Cheers Alan

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    I was looking more at the back ground of hills and nothing else and how that fits in with the location on a map than the newer houses directly around it.

Name and general building do clinch it, the setting made me doubt it.
    It is the Vic in Dudley Wood. I live about 5 minutes walk from it. There was a bowling green on the left and next to that was Cradley Heath Speedway track. That went some years ago and was replaced by the new housing estate. There is a gulley on the right between the pub and a church. Obviously the extension was added, they started doing meals etc..

It actually closed a couple of weeks ago but only for a few days. There is now a new gaffer in.

If that pic was 1988 that was the year I left school and i was using it now and then ( only for soft drinks of course !) I actually rented a house just up the road for a few years in the nineties.

BTW Alan do you have any other pics taken at the same time / in the same area ?? My proper "local" was the Anchor just up the road and i would like to see some pics of it back then.

Still thinking about the other pic, its not ringing any bells yet !

I am a salmon !!

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post

BTW Alan do you have any other pics taken at the same time / in the same area ?? My proper "local" was the Anchor just up the road and i would like to see some pics of it back then.

Still thinking about the other pic, its not ringing any bells yet !
    Thanks for that Delboy,

I did hundreds of pubs in the Black Country in the late 80s,i went for the Hansons, Holdens, Bathams and Banks's pubs,i did take photo's of most pubs i did back then.

Regarding your area i did loads of pubs around threre,there are lots of pubs i did that i need to look into because they are not on the site yet.

I did do a pub called the Anchor in Cradley Heath on the 15 October 1988.

This is a photo of the Anchor taken on the same day visited

Name:	CNV00082.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1006

The Rose and Crown is still bugging me,it was definatly a Hansons house that i did in 1988.

Cheerrs Alan

This Space For Hire

I think the R&C is bugging everyone. I've checked the Dudley Metropolitan Council website and no application to demolish a R&C since 1990 and I've even asked my dad and he doesn't recognise it. What order were your photos taken in? E.G Do the negatives help narrow down the possible location of where it could be? Unlikely a pub in that neck of the woods would change it's name but it's certainly proving hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Thanks for looking into this for me Maldenman,

I think the Rose and Crown you found might be this one,i did the pub on the 2 September 1988,photo taken same day

Name:	CNV00122.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	1004 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNV00039.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1005 both pubs were done around 1988/1989 but has you can see they are different and were different brewerys one Hansons the other Holdens.

Cheers Alan
    That Rose and Crown is definately the Holdens one in Brierley Hill. You can just see the edge of the Bridge Inn in your photo. It closed some years ago and is now a restaurant

I am still drawing a blank trying to identify the pub. Did you keep photos in the order you took them ? If I knew what you took before and after I might be able to work it out !

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Thanks for that Delboy,

I did hundreds of pubs in the Black Country in the late 80s,i went for the Hansons, Holdens, Bathams and Banks's pubs,i did take photo's of most pubs i did back then.

Regarding your area i did loads of pubs around threre,there are lots of pubs i did that i need to look into because they are not on the site yet.

I did do a pub called the Anchor in Cradley Heath on the 15 October 1988.

This is a photo of the Anchor taken on the same day visited

Name:	CNV00082.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1006

The Rose and Crown is still bugging me,it was definatly a Hansons house that i did in 1988.

Cheerrs Alan
    That is the Anchor I remember. There are a number of pubs that are long gone from my area that i have thought of putting on the site. Just to record them if nothing else. I would guess you have photos of most of them so it now seems even more worthwhile.

I will have a go at listing a few and you can add the photos to them. If you need any help with anymore from round here I would be glad to take a look.

To be honest I am enjoying looking back !!

Do you have pics of the Castle or the Cooksey in Old Hill. Or the Victoria. Or Sams. Or the Why Not. Or the Vine the list goes on and on .....

I am a salmon !!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Al,

I think i have got your Rose and Crown!

The pub has gone now, but the building in the background remains.

Now i am back at work, i had a quick look through the old Staffs directories. I looked for a R&C near Dudley way, which had a school nearby. One came up that looked promising - the R&C, at 114 Bromley, Pensnett - junction with Dell Rd (see map and drag the gold bloke to that part of the road). It also appears it became a Hanson's house in 1934. A house is there today, but the church appears in the background still - would value other opinions. .

Soup.
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAQ
    Last edited by Soup Dragon; 21-01-2014 at 10:35.
    MILD:

I'm convinced, gable end of the church is distinctive, nice use of internal evidence BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I think i have got your Rose and Crown!
    Excellent research!

Have you thought of taking it up full time?
    Come On You Hatters!