Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with photos please

It became the Old Bill in 1995, prior to that it was The Townhouse which was also a restaurant but it also had a separate bar called The Coal Hole underneath, so maybe The Coal Hole is on your database Al?

And of course, way back it was a Police Station, hence the name.

The Old Bill itself is actually an Italian restaurant/bistro, but within it there is a jazz bar called Letsby Avenue.

I'll check it out next time I'm in Oldham to see if it's free to enter and also whether it should really be The Letsby Avenue Jazz Bar @ The Old Bill
    or simply Letsby Avenue Jazz Bar.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It became the Old Bill in 1995, prior to that it was The Townhouse which was also a restaurant but it also had a separate bar called The Coal Hole underneath, so maybe The Coal Hole is on your database Al?

And of course, way back it was a Police Station, hence the name.

The Old Bill itself is actually an Italian restaurant/bistro, but within it there is a jazz bar called Letsby Avenue.

I'll check it out next time I'm in Oldham to see if it's free to enter and also whether it should really be The Letsby Avenue Jazz Bar @ The Old Bill
    or simply Letsby Avenue Jazz Bar.
    Thanks for your help Rob,

The Coal Hole is not on my database for Oldham.

I probably took a photo of it before it opened and then never got round to doing it later in the day,which surprises me as i did try to do every pub in Oldham and managed 160 pubs there,this did not include towns nearby like Royton or Failsworth.

Cheers Alan

I'll stay on me own

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1385.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	941Click image for larger version. 

ID:	941

I recently took a photo of this pub in Birmingham,the pub is called Catherine O Donovan,this is the name of the landlady who runs it,would any members know the originall name of this pub.

I also went in the Windsor in the middle of Birmingham,when did this pub open,i did a pub called the Windsor back in 1987 and wondered if it was the same pub.

I would appreciate any help with these pubs.

Cheers Alan

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

ID:	941Click image for larger version. 

ID:	941

I recently took a photo of this pub in Birmingham,the pub is called Catherine O Donovan,this is the name of the landlady who runs it,would any members know the originall name of this pub.

I also went in the Windsor in the middle of Birmingham,when did this pub open,i did a pub called the Windsor back in 1987 and wondered if it was the same pub.

I would appreciate any help with these pubs.

Cheers Alan
    Hi Alan

I will be doing the Highgate pubs soon - I have done most before, but will be doing notes this time! I actually play footy around the corner from it every Thu. Catherine O Donovan's, if you ever find it open, also carries the name of The Blarney Castle on the sign, if that is what you mean.
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Hi Alan

I will be doing the Highgate pubs soon - I have done most before, but will be doing notes this time! I actually play footy around the corner from it every Thu. Catherine O Donovan's, if you ever find it open, also carries the name of The Blarney Castle on the sign, if that is what you mean.
    On my recent trip to Birmingham i tried to photo pubs that i had done there back in 1984 and 1987,i did lots of pubs in the Hihggate area and wondered if this one matched some of the pubs i could not find.

These pubs were the Wrens Nest, Pig and Whistle, White Swan, Oddfellows Arms and Australian Bar.

Name:	SAM_1389.JPG 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	942

This is another one i took a photo of,this ex pub is just along from the Old Wharf which i went in in 1987 any ideas on this one.

Thanks for replying so quickly

Cheers Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    On my recent trip to Birmingham i tried to photo pubs that i had done there back in 1984 and 1987,i did lots of pubs in the Hihggate area and wondered if this one matched some of the pubs i could not find.

These pubs were the Wrens Nest, Pig and Whistle, White Swan, Oddfellows Arms and Australian Bar.

Name:	SAM_1389.JPG 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	942

This is another one i took a photo of,this ex pub is just along from the Old Wharf which i went in in 1987 any ideas on this one.

Thanks for replying so quickly

Cheers Alan
    The White Swan, I think, is the Eden's Bar?

The Windsor was the Windsor in the 80s - I am sure, I used to go to the then trendy Le Pub opposite to it, back then
    MILD:

Billy's Bar

That place is a hostel or something now - it was Billy's Bar on this site - The Malt Shovel in years gone by.
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Billy's Bar

That place is a hostel or something now - it was Billy's Bar on this site - The Malt Shovel in years gone by.
    Thanks Soup,

I went in a pub called Billys after going in the Old Wharf,i will now add that photo to my database.

I have also done Le pub,there are loads of trendy pubs i did in that area in the 80s not sure what happened to them.

Thanks Alan

I'll stay on me own

Back again,two more pubs that i am not sure where they are,both are definatly in the Black Country and one is a Banks's tied house the other an Hansons tied house,i think the photo's were taken in 1988

Name:	CNV00037.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNV00039.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	1000

Thanks Alan

I suspect the Victoria is this one The Victoria Inn , quite a bit of remodelling and an extension but that crooked roof line is the same, as are the chimneys.

No idea about the other is the name visible is the original? The photo numbers suggest it is probably another Dudley pub but Soupy will probably know it.