Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: BITE bites the dust????

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Lester Ford the recent reviewer on here is almost certainly Lezford from the Dark Side. If Mr Ford is reading this welcome to the light (and don't take too seriously anything I say about football!).
    Didn't make that particular connection, but yes welcome, and I don't think anyone, (who cares), takes anything you say about football seriously.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Who rattled his cage? Seems pubs are being added again after the best part of a year.

https://blog.beerintheevening.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Who rattled his cage? Seems pubs are being added again after the best part of a year.

https://blog.beerintheevening.com/
    Nearly every time I go to look at it there are pubs with those gobbledegook advertising posts.

BITE not loading tonight, which is a bummer as I'm wanting it to get some historic contextual info for my latest batch of reviews.

Somebody put a shilling in the meter...

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    BITE not loading tonight
    Hasn't been loading for a while. Seems to be doing PuG a favour. When cross-checking pub info on Google, my impression is we're a lot higher up the pages, often in the first half dozen suggestions.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Apparently they are undergoing a site migration, so unable to log in for the time being.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Apparently they are undergoing a site migration, so unable to log in for the time being.
    Well spotted.

That is quite interesting, they must be making some significant code changes for it to be taking several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Well spotted.

That is quite interesting, they must be making some significant code changes for it to be taking several days.
    Do you think they would be doing something to prevent those spurious adverts that appear as reviews?
    Is there a reason (preferably in straightforward terms) why they don't happen here?

Do you think they would be doing something to prevent those spurious adverts that appear as reviews?
    I doubt that would be a priority. My guess is that they may be changing the way all the data is stored on the site, which would be a lot of work but ultimately would make no visible difference to the site. It would potentially make it easier for them to make changes in the future.
    Is there a reason (preferably in straightforward terms) why they don't happen here?
    Ok, the spam adverts that appear on BITE contain web addresses. I'm not certain but I think in the early days of the site they probably turned into actual links, after that point the site will have been marked as one that could be spammed and so it keeps happening.

That trick has never worked on this site, I can see examples of spammers trying back in 2006, found out it didn't work and gave up.

We do sometimes get that sort of thing posted to the forum. Probably every few months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Hasn't been loading for a while. Seems to be doing PuG a favour. When cross-checking pub info on Google, my impression is we're a lot higher up the pages, often in the first half dozen suggestions.
    Back up again now, with no discernible changes (and the Experian 2010 rosette still on display)...