Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 11th November 2012)

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 11th November 2012)

Aqualung: Freeminer Deep Shaft
    Bucking Fastard: Green Jack Orange Wheat Beer
    Spinko: Marble Pint
    Mobyduck: Darkstar Hophead
    Wittenden: Chapel Down Vineyards Curious IPA
    Real Ale Ray: Adnams Lighthouse
    hondo: Stewart Brewing Zymic
    Thuck Phat: Sadlers Red IPA
    aleandhearty: Thornbridge Jaipur
    london calling: Triple fff Jabberwocky
    Oggwyn Trench: White Rose Voluptuous Blonde
    rpadam: Shepherd Neame Spooks
    Pubsignman: Gales HSB
    ROBCamra: Byatt's Phoenix Gold
    Brewguru: Plain Ales Sheep Dip
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 16-11-2012 at 13:36.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Only a small slection this week

Cambridge Brewing Heather Ale 4.0%
    White Horse War Horse 4.9%
    Brodie's Simcoe Pale 5.0%
    Brodies's Old Street Pale 5.0%
    Steenbrugge Dubbel Bruin 6.0%
    Freeminer Deep Shaft 6.2%
    Brodie's Dalston Black IPA 7.0%
    Brodie's Big Mofo Stout 10.5%

I would also like to give the Gwynt Y Ddraig Black Dragon cider an honourable mention!

There is a clear winner, Freeminer Deep Shaft in top notch condition at the King's Ford in Chingford, I think it was a fresh barrel.

I would describe it as a strong stout, black with a massive burst of roasted malt flavour. I'm sure I drank this in a Spoons back in the 1990s but I don't recall it being exceptional as this most definitely was.

BOTW Freeminer Deep Shaft

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Reasonable week with some decent ale in Atherstone,nice change,but BOTW was Green Jack Orange Wheat Beer .I got the marmalade hints,some sweetness balanced by citrus bitterness which demanded a second.Served in great condition in The Town Wall Tavern,Coventry a pub now in the running for POTM,along with the ever reliable Greyhound at Hawkesbury Junction.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Some good ones yesterday.

Greenfield - Vanilla Stout
    Marble - Pint
    Bobs - White Lion

The Greenfield beers have been spotted consistently at the Deansgate Wetherspoons in Manchester, with sometimes 2 or 3 on. No need to go to the Stalybridge buffet for them when I can just walk around the corner

The Marble was a funny one. I got it from the Thomas St pub in the Northern Quarter, and was told it was cloudy and asked whether I wanted a sample to check it. It was spot on.. was just about warm enough to sit outside too..maybe the last opportunity of the year.

Bob's White Lion is a permanent fixture in the Angel. However the last time I was in there, there were friendly barstaff, a really bustling pub, 7 or 8 handpumps on, and a live pianist. This time it was only around a third as busy, perhaps only 3 beers on, and a huge scorched bit of grass outside where they'd had a bonfire. I am amazed how quickly a pub can change.

West Berks Once Bittern
    West Berks Dr Hexsters Wedding Ale
    Butcombe Bitter
    Darkstar Hophead
    Courage Best
    Easy choice BOTW Darkstar Hophead
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I cannot believe what I'm about to write, but it is true.
    Otter- Bitter: a pleasant malt led session beer.Inoffensive.
    Dorset Piddle-Silent Slasher: unassuming pale gold lager-alike. Nettley,OK. silly names.
    Timothy Taylor-Landlord-distinctly average last night.
    Chapel Down Vineyards-Curious IPA. Brewed at Hepworth's, tweaked at Chapel Down. A very drinkable 5.6ABV KEG. No unpleasant gassiness,plenty of flavour from the Kent and US hops and plenty of soul. My re- application for CAMRA membership will probably fail, but I actually enjoyed a pint of keg. There, I've said it. My BOTW.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I cannot believe what I'm about to write, but it is true.
    Otter- Bitter: a pleasant malt led session beer.Inoffensive.
    Dorset Piddle-Silent Slasher: unassuming pale gold lager-alike. Nettley,OK. silly names.
    Timothy Taylor-Landlord-distinctly average last night.
    Chapel Down Vineyards-Curious IPA. Brewed at Hepworth's, tweaked at Chapel Down. A very drinkable 5.6ABV KEG. No unpleasant gassiness,plenty of flavour from the Kent and US hops and plenty of soul. My re- application for CAMRA membership will probably fail, but I actually enjoyed a pint of keg. There, I've said it. My BOTW.
    KEG !!!!
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

BOTW - Adnams Lighthouse

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post

Do you know if this was keykeg or the full on CO2 gas cylinder keg? Keykeg as I understand things is a CAMRA approved method of dispense and is in no way gassy, but may be colder than some would like.

I have voted Brodie's keykeg beers as BOTW and will probably do so again.

I've recently had a few bottles of Tesco Finest American IPA aka Brewdog Hardcore IPA. It's a fantastic bottled beer but I can't help thinking how superior it would be from a carefully nurtured dry hopped cask.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Do you know if this was keykeg or the full on CO2 gas cylinder keg? Keykeg as I understand things is a CAMRA approved method of dispense and is in no way gassy, but may be colder than some would like.
    Not sure! It came from a rather snazzy looking font on the bar, but as it was in a sort of restaurant situation I didn't get a good look. I've had the beer in bottle-in the past I think it was bottle conditioned but no more. Stil a good drink. I think some from of barrel ageing takes place, it being a winery.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.