Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: what no pumpclips?

This Space For Hire

Default what no pumpclips?

i went into the Earl of Essex london n1 on monday night.they have removed the pumpclips and have a very impressive board on the wall with all the beers on with prices for 1/3-1/2 and a pint.As you look at the bar on entry 20 designer beer taps all blank.it looks weird to me.what can be better than walking into a pub with a massive range of beers than seeing a riot of colour from the various beerclips.Now i dont find this problem in the Euston tap as the beer is dispensed from the back wall and you can easily see what beers are on from the board no matter how busy the pub is.But in this pub it looked strange.

We have a local's pub that just has one hand pump that dispenses Courage Best, always has done and probably always will do (Dartford was a Courage stronghold in days gone by as they bought up all the remants of Dartfords breweries before the war). The pump has never been badged and strangers would easily assume that the pump is unused and there is no ale. I find it quaintly old fashioned and a throwback to the days when you would just walk in and ask for a pint of best because that's all they had. I must admit I haven't been there for a couple of years as it's a bit out of the way but I think I'd be horrified if I found the pump badged. I must put a fresh visit on my agenda.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    what can be better than walking into a pub with a massive range of beers than seeing a riot of colour from the various beerclips.
    Not much! Ten hand pumps under full sail, like at some beery regatta, has to be one of the most evocative sights there is. Even when the beers are listed on a blackboard, I still find it hard to choose without walking down the pumps.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.