Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Wetherspoons Escape

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default The Great Wetherspoons Escape

More than two years on from The Great Inter-County Pub Crawl I thought it was time to do something similar. As the current London Midland Great Escape offer coincides with the Wetherspoons Beer festival it seemed too good an opportunity to miss, so this endeavor will be the, imaginatively named, Great Wetherspoons Escape. It will take place over two days this coming Friday and Saturday. As the cheap tickets can't be used during the morning peak, the first train North I could get from Watford would be at 10:00am so I plan to use my annual ticket and get a head start in London. The, aspirational and weather permitting, plan is to visit 3 JDW's in London, 3 at the other end of the line in Liverpool and as many in between as I can manage in two days

Provided I get up in time I plan to be at the Hamilton Hall Liverpool Street around 7am and meet any early birds from the office for breakfast. Then a couple more JDW's, perhaps around Holborn, before getting the first cheap train North from Euston. I think I could do Rugby, Tamworth and Stafford on the way up to an overnight in Crewe. The Liverpool ones can be ticked off Friday night or Saturday morning before heading back via the Wolverhampton and Birmingham line and doing a couple more close to home. I'm not going to go mad but am hoping to get to at least 15.

Wish me luck, and I'll try to keep you updated on the way courtesy of JDW's free Wi-Fi.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Keep an eye on the London Midland website for the daily cancellations! Wednesday looks OK, but it varies day-by-day.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

That's what put me off doing it Saturday and Sunday Paul, wasn't sure I'd be able to get back ! Should have a better chance of getting around easier on Fri and Sat.
    Last edited by Millay; 24-10-2012 at 09:47.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Real Ale Drinker

Friday night in Crewe eh !
    I remember years ago a few of us spent a saturday night there after an afternoon game at Gresty Road.
    After the game we went back to the hotel to change and met at hotel reception at 7.00 ready for a good night out.
    When I asked the receptionist for directions to the town centre she looked at me in amazement and said ''what do you want to go there for ? You'll be on your own !''

Good luck with the trip. Sure it will be fun.

I too stayed a night in Crewe - we took one look and went to Nantwich instead.

Oh Gawd yes, I would second Nantwich over Crewe any day...
    A previous company had a sales office in Nantwich and I spent many a good evening there.
    The locals told us not to bother with Crewe, but we had to do it once, just to confirm they were right.
    My experiences are from over 20 years ago, but nothing I have heard has indicated times have changed..
    I used to frequent a couple of pubs called the Bowling Green and the Vine, and I believe they are still going
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I too stayed a night in Crewe - we took one look and went to Nantwich instead.
    Now I'm really worried, if even you wouldn't go there Roger. Just as well it's only an overnight, and it does give me the option of doing Liverpool on either the Friday or Saturday.

Need to sort out tickets, maps etc and set the alarm for an early start tomorrow.

So much for an early night. Just spent the last hour poring over timetables working out route options and contingency plans. Think I'm sorted now though. Off for a few hours kip.

Right, do i have everything? Tickets,maps, timetables, check. Change of underwear, check. Phone and charger,check. A sense that this might not be a good idea afterall,check.

Too late now anyway, I'm on a train whizzing to London for the first leg of this crazy stunt already.

The Hamilton Hall opened right on time at 7am and I've ordered breakfast
    t and risked a half of the Tree Brewery Thirsty Beaver from Canada. Selby from work has just joined and there may be a couple more arriving to provide a grand send off.