Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 of the best pubs - Grauniad

This Space For Hire

Default 10 of the best pubs - Grauniad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/gal...ture=359475056

Nice little feature in the paper today. Surprisingly little evidence of gastrification, some real proper pubs. I wonder if even the residents of N1 medialand have at last seen though the gastropubs they used to go on about so much for the shams so many of them are..

Glad to see they said ten of the best rather than someone or others 10 best. Good selection of pubs too, from a real ale point of view, about half are on my to do list and I'll probably add the others.

A couple of interesting new ones that I haven't come across before. I have done 3 of them (Black Frair, Fat Cat & Swan). Maybe I had a bad day but I wasn't over impressed with the Swan - good but certainly no better than many other country pubs I have been in and personally I prefferred the nearby Chequers at Goldhanger that we visited the same day.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Some good pubs there Nick and nice to see they are concentrating on the ale. It looks like they have trawled through CAMRA's Pub of the Year archives. Some of the photo's look a bit old though.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Sadly, I have only two ticked (Blackfriar & Nursery). Four were already on my 'random' mission list, the other four will be added post haste, but visiting will take rather longer.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Time to 'fess up: I haven't been to any of them. The Nursery's about the closest, but I've no plans to head west in the near future.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Out of 10 pubs, Legendary The Barton Arms is the only one I actually visited and I was pleased to see it is in second place. I just wish The Barton Arms should relocate to city in Brum.
    Last edited by hopwas; 19-02-2010 at 15:42.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Time to 'fess up: I haven't been to any of them. The Nursery's about the closest, but I've no plans to head west in the near future.
    I'm with you, never been to any of them, or likely to, the closest would be Square & Compass, Dorset but not going to make a trip just for that

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I'm with you, never been to any of them, or likely to, the closest would be Square & Compass, Dorset but not going to make a trip just for that
    Let's look at it this way FW, I'm sure we both could come up with ten pubs to match those.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This pub The Roebuck in Burton Upon Trent.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34286/.. used to be in top 10 in UK 15 years ago. Great character with 10 handpulls (I should note Victorian style handpulls) until one day some idiot decided to buy it and changed to more modern pub. Lost place for top 10 and didnt't try to regain it.

I used to frequent it in my student days in Burton and right next to Burton train station. My last visit was in summer 2006 and it has lost its charm and there was no guest ale on. Only Burton ale on sale.

It's great shame to see pubs losing its charm just like The Roebuck..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/