Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London prices

Hybrid View

Default London prices

I went to London last Thursday. I popped in pub called Green Man next to Great Portland Street tube station and I ordered a pint of Otter ale.

Then to my horror, it came to £4.10!

I have visited few pubs beforehand and price of pint are generally £3.60 but pint in Green Man are taking a piss.

Now I am used to Midland prices with around 2.80 which is perfectly normal, how come London prices are different from other parts in UK?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Prices in my area (Hampshire/Surrey borders) are pretty much the same as London, ranging from £3.40 to £3.90 depending on strength, so London prices no longer shock me apart from paying £4.50 for a pint of fizzy Jaipur IPA in The Old Red Cow in Smithfield.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I've just paid £2.70 for a pint of Ossett Yorkshire Pride, in my village local. However, last week I went to a pub in the neighbouring village and paid £.3.50 for a pint of Ossett Silver King. That really did strike me as taking the piss. I was drinking in Greater London, during the summer, for less than that.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Had my first £3 pint in my local last night it was Jaipur 5.9% , most guests are around £2.65 in the 4.2% - 4.6% range , next door they have had a few £3 pints again the stronger ones but there own beers are usually pretty good value between £2.20 and £2.60.
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Out and about in North Yorks today I've paid:

Magic Rock Curious (3.9%) £3.18 [pub 1]
    Great Heck Jarnos Ashes (4.5%) £3.34 [pub 1]
    Wharfebank Tether Blonde (4.1%) £3.35 [pub 2]
    Deuchars IPA (3.8%) £3.30 [pub 3]
    Rudgate Ruby Mild (4.4%) £2.94 [pub 4]

The best beers were the Magic Rock, and Great Heck in one pub and Rudgate in another, the most expensive beer was very cold, very cloudy and very poor quality, the second most expensive was the second worst beer of the day. Not only was the beer in pub 1 better but I quite fancy the landlady too. I'm undecided whither the Magic Rock or the Rudgate was beer of the day.

This Space For Hire

Most of the central London pubs rely on passing trade rather than regulars who would protest about the price of a pint.the high price of property is the main reason for the prices.the Bree Louise was sold last year for about £1.5 million.its only a little shabby corner pub but to get a return on that price they need to price the beers accordingly.its not uncommon for beers to be near £4.00 a pint now.

I paid £4 for a pint of Landlord in the Clerk and Well yesterday.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Most of the central London pubs rely on passing trade rather than regulars who would protest about the price of a pint.the high price of property is the main reason for the prices.the Bree Louise was sold last year for about £1.5 million.its only a little shabby corner pub but to get a return on that price they need to price the beers accordingly.its not uncommon for beers to be near £4.00 a pint now.
    The City of London can be something of an exception, however, since while there are a good number of very pricy establishments most of the 'proper' pubs seem to be somewhat cheaper than in the West End despite the sky-high property prices in the Square Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    There is some truth here in that many City pubs cater for the bone-headed city trader morons and West End pubs try and attract gullible tourists.

This may be true for the Bree Louise, which I haven't been to, although I did once go there when it was an awful Watney's pub called the Jolly Gardeners.
    The fact is that beer in central London has always been expensive. Back in the days when the Big 6 brewers owned virtually all the pubs they charged through the nose in Central London, despite the fact that they had owned these pubs for decades or more. Even Wetherspoons charge the earth in Central London. I was at their Victoria pub a month ago early on a Saturday morning and noticed that their guest ales were from £3.30 (I had a tea which was also ridiculously expensive).

In the last 20 or so years Central London has been spreading and it's now getting to the stage (even in East London) that Central London prices apply to Inner London.

The few remaining established regional brewers seem to be charging top prices and some ruining their pubs.

Your best bet is to ignore Inner London and rely on Spoons and independent pubs that you have established are reasonable value.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Your best bet is to ignore Inner London and rely on Spoons and independent pubs that you have established are reasonable value.
    When on a day out price of a pint is secondary (within reason) to the pub,the main criteria being good pub and good beer,if this has to be saved for so be it,I wouldn't spend good money on a train fare to spend the day visiting Wetherspoons outlets,only my opinion though.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields