Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
Most of the central London pubs rely on passing trade rather than regulars who would protest about the price of a pint.the high price of property is the main reason for the prices.the Bree Louise was sold last year for about £1.5 million.its only a little shabby corner pub but to get a return on that price they need to price the beers accordingly.its not uncommon for beers to be near £4.00 a pint now.
There is some truth here in that many City pubs cater for the bone-headed city trader morons and West End pubs try and attract gullible tourists.

This may be true for the Bree Louise, which I haven't been to, although I did once go there when it was an awful Watney's pub called the Jolly Gardeners.
The fact is that beer in central London has always been expensive. Back in the days when the Big 6 brewers owned virtually all the pubs they charged through the nose in Central London, despite the fact that they had owned these pubs for decades or more. Even Wetherspoons charge the earth in Central London. I was at their Victoria pub a month ago early on a Saturday morning and noticed that their guest ales were from £3.30 (I had a tea which was also ridiculously expensive).

In the last 20 or so years Central London has been spreading and it's now getting to the stage (even in East London) that Central London prices apply to Inner London.

The few remaining established regional brewers seem to be charging top prices and some ruining their pubs.

Your best bet is to ignore Inner London and rely on Spoons and independent pubs that you have established are reasonable value.