Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The Black Horse Hurdcott

Default The Black Horse Hurdcott

The Black Horse
    Black Horse Lane
    Hurdcott
    Postal town: Salisbury
    SP4 6HW

The Black Horse is shown as being in Winterbourne Earls, but that's just its postal address. It's more commonly refered to as being in Hurdcott, the Hamlet just outside the Winterbournes. Can I suggest for clarity that the address is changed to the above?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi ETA,

I have left it for the moment, it looks like there is a Winterbourne Dauntsey adjacent, and a Winterbourne Stoke somewhere round Stoke. If I change it will people know it is Earls rather than Dauntsey or Stoke? Or should I be merging Dauntsey and Earls (and indeed where does that leave Winterbourne Stoke?).

Hope that is clear, let me know and I will go from there.

Stoke is somewhere else entirely so should remain discrete. Earls and Dauntsey are contiguous, but Hurdcott is in neither (as in there's a swathe of countryside between them, while it would be impossible to distinguish between the two Winterbournes which both straddle the A338). Hurdcott is a smaller village off the 338. To get to th e BH, you have to drive (or walk etc) past the entrance to the Winterbournes and turn into Hurdcott. Hurdcott lies within the parish of Winterbourne Earls, hence the postal address.

Locally, if you say the Black Horse in Winterbourne, it won't mean anything whereas Hurdcott will, and certainly the Salisbury CAMRA guide refers to Hurdcott, so it may be good to be consistent with that.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hmm, I think I got that.

We have moved The Black Horse to Hurdcott and The Winterbourne Arms to Winterbourne.

Thanks for that and let me know if I got it wrong still.

Thanks Conrad - Black Horse is now OK, Winterbourne Arms was OK in W Dauntsey (once it stopped being Tything Man).

The trouble with "Winterbourne" is that there are loads of villages around the SW with the name - it simply means a stream that only flows in Winter, so while W Gunner, W Dauntsey and W Earls are in the Bourne Valley, W Kingston and W Strickland aren't.

But I know how difficult it is to keep a site up to date, especially when you've got so many inputs from all over the country.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi ETA,

Switched it back to Winterbourne Dauntsey. Thanks a lot for persevering through that, it is a nightmare getting this all correct, especially as it would be polite to call me geographically challenged.

We are lucky though in that we have a lot of members who are passionate about getting this site right, so we just have to listen to you all and try and wend our way through.