Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviewers and Photographers

I'll stay on me own

Default Reviewers and Photographers

I only take photo's of pubs i have been in and only review pubs i have took a photo of.

Have recently tried to review and photgraph all pubs in central Nottingham,i was getting there then a load more bars and restaurants appeared on the site which i will now have to go in to complete the Nottingham list (yes that is a bit sad but that is how i am) there is a La Taska now on the list i have walked past this hundreds of times with no intention of ever going in it but it is now on the list so it is bugging me.

I think photographers have it very easy walk round a new town or city and click away,as a reviewer this would take months to do and also have to go in some pretty crap places.

So this is really bugging me, i am not just talking about the photographer who added the pubs in Nottingham but all photographers,i have recently looked at pictures of plates of food,Sainsburys car parks,several housing estates and some bushes,where will this all end.

I would like to hear replies from both camps on this.

I discussed this with a few people last Friday on the minibus and have done previously on a few occasions with a number of us. I think we have had a thread about this before but I can't find it.

My own philosophy is I take a photo of a pub I go into if possible, I may or may not put that photo on the site depending on what's there already and the quality of my photo. I don't see the point of posting a photo that essentially shows the same as someone else's.

If there's no photo I will put it on unless it's utter carp. I like to include an exterior shot, more than one if there's something interesting to show and a shot of the sign, an interior is a bonus. Something relevant to the review is also acceptable in my book, a mention of the view with a supporting photo or perhaps something that puts the location into context. If a local pub changes in some way I'll try and update the photo.

Pubs not visited or reviewed are more of a dilemma for some people but I take the view that one picture is worth a thousand words so I will put on pictures of pubs I haven't reviewed or visited purely because it does say something about the pub. I have photographed pubs I am very unlikely to ever enter especially away from my home area for this reason. I also like taking pictures of pubs and there's more than a little OCD involved with this in my case and I suspect a few others.

Closed or demolished pubs are the hardest case, I believe a picture of a closed pub is of some value if one of it open isn't available, there is an argument that it provides a neat ending to a pub's story. I am at a loss to understand pictures of where a pub used to be except in a "then & now" pair of pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I only take photo's of pubs i have been in and only review pubs i have took a photo of.

Have recently tried to review and photgraph all pubs in central Nottingham,i was getting there then a load more bars and restaurants appeared on the site which i will now have to go in to complete the Nottingham list (yes that is a bit sad but that is how i am) there is a La Taska now on the list i have walked past this hundreds of times with no intention of ever going in it but it is now on the list so it is bugging me.

I think photographers have it very easy walk round a new town or city and click away,as a reviewer this would take months to do and also have to go in some pretty crap places.

So this is really bugging me, i am not just talking about the photographer who added the pubs in Nottingham but all photographers,i have recently looked at pictures of plates of food,Sainsburys car parks,several housing estates and some bushes,where will this all end.

I would like to hear replies from both camps on this.
    I'm pretty new to taking photo's of pubs and to date not very prolific, but I am siding with o.b's views,I have recently added three pics to The Hare And Hounds, not a pub I've been in but found myself outside at 9.00 one morning while waiting to complete a delivery at work, so I took three photos and have added them to the existing two,one of which is Al's along with his review, not pieces of art granted, but adds to the pub page hopefully , so given the chance why not take a pic even if you are unable to experience the pub itself for whatever reason.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Without the 'photographers' the site would still be quite sparse in terms of stuff for pubs who either aren't well-regarded ale outlets or heritage interiors.

Every little helps, as it were.

I never used to bother with taking pictures, but the purchase of an android phone with a decent camera meant that I could take pictures without taking a camera with me. Now when I go out with my pub map I circle any pubs without pictures so that I can take one if possible. I’ll also try to take a picture if the name has changed, but I don’t put myself out over it.
    I don’t really see the point of having the same picture of a pub several times, but the contributions made by the drive-by-shooting massive on this site are one of the things that make it stand out from the crowd.

It would be nice if the prolific photographers were a little more vocal on the forums.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

We all have different levels of commitment to the site, and different ways of expressing it. Alan's intention of photographing all the pubs he goes in and reviewing all the pubs he photos is just fine, and I applaud him for it. No one will think any less of him if he doesn't have a drink in La Tasca. The only person disappointed with that outcome will be Alan himself.

I must admit I ground my teeth a little when I got to the end of the list of photo-less pubs in Sheffield only to find that someone had added some more. I've no intention of going in all the Sheffield pubs for a drink, because I draw the line at going into pubs that I am damned sure I will not enjoy drinking in. I applaud Alan's efforts, but the fact that he now feels he has to go into La Tasca is not the fault of the photographer who added it to the site.

(I do agree about the photos of plates of food, though. What are they doing here?)
    Come On You Hatters!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

(I do agree about the photos of plates of food, though. What are they doing here?)
    As both photographer & reviewer I do take & post photos of food, why not? It is part of many pubs and if the food looks nice and good value why not share the experience with a photo?

I also take, and post, pictures of the view if it is pleasant. such as view across a harbour, or pleasant river running through the grounds for instance. Conversely I try & include cr@p surroundings / landscape if applicable, like huge oil tanks towering over the pub. And I take the car parks sometimes, may as well know if you can get in there or not

I also photo & post any notices outside or in that my be useful, like history or background info of pub or notices

For me it is all about informing others who may not be [gasp] in awe of real ales and just want a pleasant pub they can go in without wondering what it will be like, and as pointed out, picture, kilo words etc

Like others I have photographed pubs [but not been in] in nearby city, in my case all of the pubs in Portsmouth / Southsea and surrounding areas, but just cannot keep up with constant name changes, new colour of outside etc

I have even photographed toilet doors with a nice mural on it
    Last edited by Farway; 13-10-2012 at 18:07.
    I drink to make others more interesting

I guess this thread might be useful in sharing ideas about what others think is worth photographing, and what is worth mentioning in reviews.

Like most people on here I will photograph pubs that I don't go in. But that is my personal standard and if someone else only wants to photograph pubs that they go in that's fair enough. Like Farway I will include views from the pub, but usually only if they are worth photographing - e.g, I have included a photograph of Hampton Court Palace because that's what you can see from the pub garden. I'll post anything it I reckon it's worth including. I've even acquired photos of a cubicle at the ladies' loo here! (but for some reason not uploaded - surely not an outbreak of sensitivity!) But as I said that's what I like to do, especially if I can get a shot of something interesting inside the pub.

As for reviewing, I tend to only post something about pubs I've actually been in. Personally I can't see the point of posting something like "closed and boarded up". Everyone knows it's closed because the pub has great big red banners all over the page saying so, and the posting looks silly and even misleading when the pub subsequently re-opens. I always leave any such comment in the box for notifying closures, which of course goes if/when the pub re-opens. Similarly I don't bother to post name changes, although over time this could provide an audit trail of the pub's names. But if others want to do so then I reckon that's up to them.

I guess we all have our own thoughts on how we like to review and photograph, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    As both photographer & reviewer I do take & post photos of food, why not? It is part of many pubs and if the food looks nice and good value why not share the experience with a photo?

I also take, and post, pictures of the view if it is pleasant. such as view across a harbour, or pleasant river running through the grounds for instance. Conversely I try & include cr@p surroundings / landscape if applicable, like huge oil tanks towering over the pub. And I take the car parks sometimes, may as well know if you can get in there or not

I also photo & post any notices outside or in that my be useful, like history or background info of pub or notices

For me it is all about informing others who may not be [gasp] in awe of real ales and just want a pleasant pub they can go in without wondering what it will be like, and as pointed out, picture, kilo words etc

Like others I have photographed pubs [but not been in] in nearby city, in my case all of the pubs in Portsmouth / Southsea and surrounding areas, but just cannot keep up with constant name changes, new colour of outside etc

I have even photographed toilet doors with a nice mural on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I guess this thread might be useful in sharing ideas about what others think is worth photographing, and what is worth mentioning in reviews.

Like most people on here I will photograph pubs that I don't go in. But that is my personal standard and if someone else only wants to photograph pubs that they go in that's fair enough. Like Farway I will include views from the pub, but usually only if they are worth photographing - e.g, I have included a photograph of Hampton Court Palace because that's what you can see from the pub garden. I'll post anything it I reckon it's worth including. I've even acquired photos of a cubicle at the ladies' loo here! (but for some reason not uploaded - surely not an outbreak of sensitivity!) But as I said that's what I like to do, especially if I can get a shot of something interesting inside the pub.

As for reviewing, I tend to only post something about pubs I've actually been in. Personally I can't see the point of posting something like "closed and boarded up". Everyone knows it's closed because the pub has great big red banners all over the page saying so, and the posting looks silly and even misleading when the pub subsequently re-opens. I always leave any such comment in the box for notifying closures, which of course goes if/when the pub re-opens. Similarly I don't bother to post name changes, although over time this could provide an audit trail of the pub's names. But if others want to do so then I reckon that's up to them.

I guess we all have our own thoughts on how we like to review and photograph, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Having read the two posts above I have to agree with most of Farway and Rex's sentiments as long as the pictures are pub related,views from a pub are fine as long as its obviously a scene seen from the pub and possibly a bit of the pub in the picture as well,as in Farways view across a harbour we can see pub benches ,linking the view to the pub in question.I am however struggling to come to terms with pictures of food even though I am aware you get food in a pub.I suppose as Rex intimates "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

Having read all the replys,it seems some forum users seem happy with photo's of scenes near pubs,car parks and plates of food.

I am as usuall a bit different to most other people on this site as i only try to take one photo of a pub and try to find the best angle for my shot,this is because i have all my pub photo's on print for my personal collection of pub photo's and taking multipul photo's of the same pub would be too costly for me to do.