Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reviewers and Photographers

I am with Old Boots on this one as I will only upload photos that add something to what's already there.
    But I don't have an issue with the serial photo loaders as for me the photo date history is one of the big plus points of PG over other sites and for every multiple entry set that adds no value, there's another that provides inside into a pubs changing look.
    I always try to get a close up of the pub sign and don't tend to bother with the view unless I can get the pub garden or benches in as well, although I did break this rule once when at a coastal pub as the view included a particularly impressive seagull.
    I also have to confess to sneaking into a few of my pub photos and my better half has appeared unknowingly in a few of my interior shots.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I also have to confess to sneaking into a few of my pub photos and my better half has appeared unknowingly in a few of my interior shots.
    Mrs Quinno and a few of my well-established drinking cronies pop up on my pics as well. It's like a trademark!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Mrs Quinno and a few of my well-established drinking cronies pop up on my pics as well. It's like a trademark!
    Dont i know it ...http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/42445/ ... well framed shot of me and my pint of Mild
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I never uploaded this one though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3167.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	762.1 KB 
ID:	772

Yes. you can see why.

Looks like I've just been told Whitelocks now do "Craft Keg" only and have candle powered tables.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Looks like I've just been told Whitelocks now do "Craft Keg" only and have candle powered tables.
    I seem to remember it being more of a D.P Gumby moment, with you telling everyone " My brain hurts!"
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes. you can see why.

It looks like you are doing an impression of the bloke Ray asked for a bit of yam yam!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

I have reviewed and photographed roughly the same number of pubs, but approach each quite differently, and in most cases they will be a different selection of pubs. I have reviewed many pubs that I haven't photographed, and photographed many that I haven't reviewed.

As far as photography goes, it's often not practical to take a photo. The vast majority of my pub visiting is done of an evening, when for most of the year there is no available light. Even if there is, I may not have a camera with me (despite working in IT, I have yet to acquire a phone with a camera in it, which somewhat bemuses most of my acquaintances!). Initially I started off not photographing many, but making a deliberate effort to fill in the blanks, ie; pubs that had no photo. This was easy enough around my local area, but took a bit more planning when visiting somewhere different. On many occasions I have checked the maps to see where a pub is, go there, photograph it, only to get back and find that there was another one just up the road that needed a photo, but as the map points were the same I hadn't realised. Very frustrating.

I then realised that other people were adding photographs regardless of what was there already, and I'm sure at some point Dave or Conrad said they were quite happy to take whatever anyone uploaded, so I pretty much follow that approach now. If you're somewhere unfamiliar it's far easier to snap them all rather than try and work out which ones need doing, and then once you've taken them you might as well upload them. I do still try and make a conscious effort to get photographs of previously unphotographed ones, particularly if they're local or on a route I travel regularly.

As for photographs that are not of the pub, I do occasionally, but only if it's a view from the pub and something particularly interesting or scenic such as The New Inn. In such cases, I'll invariably select the "Don't show on main page" option so that you only get to see that one if you take the trouble to go and look at all the photographs. Only once did I take a picture that wasn't even from the pub, but it was relevant and close by - the pub in question, The Railway Inn, is the brewery tap for Thatcher's cider, and a picture of the nearby orchards seemed appropriate!

As for reviews, that's a lot easier. If I go in, I'll review it!
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 15-10-2012 at 20:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    In such cases, I'll invariably select the "Don't show on main page" option so that you only get to see that one if you take the trouble to go and look at all the photographs.!
    Ohhh tell you what I've never noticed that function. I'll go through mine at some point and exclude most of the interior pics unless they're really interesting!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Ohhh tell you what I've never noticed that function. I'll go through mine at some point and exclude most of the interior pics unless they're really interesting!
    I was aware, when it was introduced I went through & excluded my food pics and the like from main page, yep, also aware no one likes a smart @rse
    I drink to make others more interesting