Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pubs with the worst toilets

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I've had the privilege recently of being in Vodka Revolution in Manchester and seeing two people projectile vomit in the toilets before they could even get to a cubicle. However I must not have a great sense of smell, or at least am not easily offended, as to me the worst toilets are those you have to go on a five minute trek to find. In my head I generally give a pub a +1 for having the toilets a few seconds' walk from the bar.
    Ah Spinko do you remember the Glen's toilets? I've seen things happen in there I want to unsee. http://aberpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/...otel-glen.html

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Ah Spinko do you remember the Glen's toilets? I've seen things happen in there I want to unsee. http://aberpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/...otel-glen.html
    Nothing from memory, though I was in the habit of drinking triple vodkas in there..

My favourites used to be in the Mill http://aberpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/mill-inn.html - outdoor urinals . It reminded me of the toilets at our old rugby ground, which were just an open gutter running around a roofless brick rectangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Isn't that just about every Wetherspoons?
    There is some truth in that, the worst ones are where you have to go up or down a staircase which in some cases can be far too narrow.

The worst offenders off the top of my head are The Drum in Leyton, The Great Spoon of Ilford and The King's Ford in Chingford. This suggests that shop conversions are to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Sounds like Dogbolter: Eddie Gadd at Ramsgate brewery makes an excellent porter of that name. I think he started out with David Bruce.
    That's the one DogBolter, I thought it was stronger than 5.6%, but thirty years ago there was little stronger apart from the three Winter Old Ales in the NW and Midlands.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Yes, they can be a trek but, more often than not, tend to provide a superior facility once you're there.
    I can think of a couple of exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I never pay in stations, simply pull the barrier slightly towards you then once in between push it forward to the original position and you're in, simple. Got caught at Clapham Junction once though!
    By the barrier, or the toilet police?

Obviously underground loos have the capacity to be pretty gruesome. One that sticks in my mind was the Nell Gwynne - not only was it fairly oderous down there, but the steep descent, coupled with a chance to bang your head on some jutting-out stair ceiling, made the whole experience unpleasant. I seem to recall my review suggesting that the staircase could have had the river styx running down it...

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post

By the barrier, or the toilet police?
    The attendant, had to blag it saying got no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    There is some truth in that, the worst ones are where you have to go up or down a staircase which in some cases can be far too narrow.
    The classic steeeeep and narrow staircase to the gents was in the (now demolished) Narrow Boat at the top of Ladbrook Grove, a real death trap for the unwary as the door opened straight onto the very steep stairs with no landing, can't remember if they smelled or if that was the canal.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

From my limited experience yes, and they hide the doors by making them blend in, or up stairs, on a mezzanine floor that you can see but never find way up

Talking of stairs, they can give rise to worst toilets, not because of condition but death traps of narrow & winding stairs as one fumbles way back to bar, one I have in mind is Pie & Ale House with lighthouse style stairs & no handrail, very dodgy for an old codger like me
    Last edited by Farway; 16-10-2012 at 15:03.
    I drink to make others more interesting

I'll stay on me own

If we're talking about loos that are challenging to get to, the The White Lion must rate fairly high on the list.

If we're talking about loos that are challenging to get to, the The White Lion must rate fairly high on the list.
    Proper entertainment is provided by the tight spiral staircase that leads down to the subterranean gents; basically, don’t attempt it if you’re pissed or porky (or both).