Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pubs with the worst toilets

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Flowerpot, Derby? Hmm I don't see anything wrong with their toilets.

But then I may be too pissed to notice
    I agree, they were perfectly OK when I visited in July and I think they have been for a while.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I also remember going to the Hole in the Wall at Waterloo station a bit later in about 1974. It was just starting on it's journey to becoming a GBG regular as it had a small carpeted bar with some handpumps including I think the (then) revered Brakspears. The main bar was another matter, it was lino floored with rickety basic wooden chairs and tables that sold rough cider and some sort of draught wine. It was full of down and outs drinking a mix of the cider and wine and I suspected some topping it up with meths. It continually appeared as though a fight was about to break out but never did.
    It was far and away the worst place I ever visited anywhere. Back on topic, I didn't visit the toilets!

The Boak and Bailey Blog talks about Becky's being the first ever "festival" beer house, which I am sure is true certainly for London. Other early "festival" pubs I recall are the Coronet Bar in Soho, the Bricklayers Arms in Shoreditch, The Anglesea Arms in South Kensington, the Sun in Lamb's Conduit Street and the Barley Mow at Tyttenhanger Green near St Albans.

You could never describe this era as the good old days as these places were quite unusual then but today their existence would hardly raise an eyebrow.
    Ah the nostalgia, I spent many happy hours missing trains in the Hole in the Wall back bar as the trains rumbled overhead, the bogs weren't as bad as you might have thought given the clientele of "Burke's" in the late 1970s.

The Sun and the Barley Mow were excellent pubs and would be on most people's lists now if they were still around. I missed the others you mention back then, another must visit pub at the time was the Goose & Firkin in Borough Market, one of David Bruce's brewpubs, possibly the first.

Thanks for the Boak and Bailey reference, very interesting. My final visit to Becky's was when she had resorted to selling Ruddles out of those large tins they used to do, I can't remember why she ended up doing that.

I also remember going to the Hole in the Wall at Waterloo station a bit later in about 1974. It was just starting on it's journey to becoming a GBG regular as it had a small carpeted bar with some handpumps including I think the (then) revered Brakspears. The main bar was another matter, it was lino floored with rickety basic wooden chairs and tables that sold rough cider and some sort of draught wine. It was full of down and outs drinking a mix of the cider and wine and I suspected some topping it up with meths. It continually appeared as though a fight was about to break out but never did.
    It was far and away the worst place I ever visited anywhere. Back on topic, I didn't visit the toilets!

The bogs were truly festerous. I remember those because we often started out from the Hole ( and finished, as it is handy for Waterloo East).
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I can't think of any that are outrageously bad, but the urinals at The Duck & Drake are guaranteed to clear the sinuses, or a thick head, better than any smelling salts.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 15-10-2012 at 11:19.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    another must visit pub at the time was the Goose & Firkin in Borough Market, one of David Bruce's brewpubs, possibly the first.
    I'm fairly sure that it was the first Firkin pub and it was actually in Borough Road rather than the Market. It's a Sheps pub now called the Duke of York. I have a vague recollection of it not being CAMRA approved as it was blanket pressure, or maybe something else.
    I've also forgotten the name of that strong dark beer they used to make, I can remember drinking it in the Pheasant and Firkin in EC1, maybe if I hadn't consumed so much of it I would be able to remember the name!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I've also forgotten the name of that strong dark beer they used to make, I can remember drinking it in the Pheasant and Firkin in EC1, maybe if I hadn't consumed so much of it I would be able to remember the name!
    Was that Dogbolter,used to be good at inducing
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I'm fairly sure that it was the first Firkin pub and it was actually in Borough Road rather than the Market. It's a Sheps pub now called the Duke of York. I have a vague recollection of it not being CAMRA approved as it was blanket pressure, or maybe something else.
    Sounds like Dogbolter: Eddie Gadd at Ramsgate brewery makes an excellent porter of that name. I think he started out with David Bruce.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I never pay in stations, simply pull the barrier slightly towards you then once in between push it forward to the original position and you're in, simple. Got caught at Clapham Junction once though!
    Not caught short I hope?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

I've had the privilege recently of being in Vodka Revolution in Manchester and seeing two people projectile vomit in the toilets before they could even get to a cubicle. However I must not have a great sense of smell, or at least am not easily offended, as to me the worst toilets are those you have to go on a five minute trek to find. In my head I generally give a pub a +1 for having the toilets a few seconds' walk from the bar.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    to me the worst toilets are those you have to go on a five minute trek to find.
    Isn't that just about every Wetherspoons?