Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Pubs with the worst toilets

  1. #11
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    966

    Default

    I can think of a few:

    The Litten Tree - so bad the staff covered the floor in broken up cardboard boxes which soon turned into mush that was then traipsed through the rest of the pub. They then stationed a bloke with a mop in there for constant clean up. Poor bugger.

    Maybush - the only carpeted pub loo I've encountered.

    Ember - review says it all.

    The Ship of Fools (JD Wetherspoon) - the marble floor in here is always soaked, so after a few pints it's like trying to pee on a skating rink.

    Also, I dread having to use the toilet in the Euston Tap - there's normally only ever one in working order and it's never in a good state.
    Last edited by Pubsignman; 12-10-2012 at 23:42. Reason: Spelling

  2. #12
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Also, I dread having to use the toilet in the Euston Tap - there's normally only ever one in working order and it's never in a good state.
    Ahh good call, I concur. The gents usually end up using the ladies which the ladies then refuse to go in.

  3. #13
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Ahh good call, I concur. The gents usually end up using the ladies which the ladies then refuse to go in.
    The wise pop over to the Cider Tap for a leak!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  4. #14
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    The Wetherspoons at London Victoria are notoriously foetid, mainly because of the vast number of people avoiding paying 30p for the station bogs.

  5. #15
    Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.
    Posts
    937

    Default

    I never pay in stations, simply pull the barrier slightly towards you then once in between push it forward to the original position and you're in, simple. Got caught at Clapham Junction once though!

  6. #16
    This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Standing at the bar
    Posts
    773

    Default

    What annoys me the most about the toilet issue, is that most of the worst toilets are located in the successful pubs. It really doesn't cost a lot to ensure there's a modest amount of toilet blocks in the gents loos. Even better is to get a plumbing firm in to fix the drains. Here's my list:

    The Ship and Mitre Liverpool
    Flowerpot Derby
    The Boathouse Wylam
    The Criterion Leicester

  7. #17
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Does anyone remember Becky's Dive Bar in Southwark Street SE1? I believe it was the same site that is now the Wheatsheaf (formerly in Stoney Street). The whole place could have been described as a toilet but to reach the gents one had to negotiate an unlit cellar full of beer barrels. I believe that prior to my visit it actually sold Thwaites Mild, a very unusual beer for London in the early days of CAMRA. I knew it as it was one of the first places to serve Ruddles beers (the real deal from Rutland NOT Suffolk or Mortlake).

  8. #18
    Official JDW Tester hopwas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tamworth
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    What annoys me the most about the toilet issue, is that most of the worst toilets are located in the successful pubs. It really doesn't cost a lot to ensure there's a modest amount of toilet blocks in the gents loos. Even better is to get a plumbing firm in to fix the drains. Here's my list:

    The Ship and Mitre Liverpool
    Flowerpot Derby
    The Boathouse Wylam
    The Criterion Leicester
    Flowerpot, Derby? Hmm I don't see anything wrong with their toilets.

    But then I may be too pissed to notice
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

  9. #19
    This Space For Hire Wittenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weald of Kent
    Posts
    1,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Does anyone remember Becky's Dive Bar in Southwark Street SE1? I believe it was the same site that is now the Wheatsheaf (formerly in Stoney Street). The whole place could have been described as a toilet but to reach the gents one had to negotiate an unlit cellar full of beer barrels. I believe that prior to my visit it actually sold Thwaites Mild, a very unusual beer for London in the early days of CAMRA. I knew it as it was one of the first places to serve Ruddles beers (the real deal from Rutland NOT Suffolk or Mortlake).
    I do ! Can't really vouch for the bogs as I would have been pretty inebriated when using them Thwaites was always rumoured about, but I definately enjoyed the County. Happy days! By the way, bloggers Boak and Bailey had an interesting thread about Becky's (and Becky) a few months ago.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

  10. #20
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I do ! Can't really vouch for the bogs as I would have been pretty inebriated when using them Thwaites was always rumoured about, but I definately enjoyed the County. Happy days! By the way, bloggers Boak and Bailey had an interesting thread about Becky's (and Becky) a few months ago.
    Thanks for the Boak and Bailey reference, very interesting. My final visit to Becky's was when she had resorted to selling Ruddles out of those large tins they used to do, I can't remember why she ended up doing that.

    I also remember going to the Hole in the Wall at Waterloo station a bit later in about 1974. It was just starting on it's journey to becoming a GBG regular as it had a small carpeted bar with some handpumps including I think the (then) revered Brakspears. The main bar was another matter, it was lino floored with rickety basic wooden chairs and tables that sold rough cider and some sort of draught wine. It was full of down and outs drinking a mix of the cider and wine and I suspected some topping it up with meths. It continually appeared as though a fight was about to break out but never did.
    It was far and away the worst place I ever visited anywhere. Back on topic, I didn't visit the toilets!

    The Boak and Bailey Blog talks about Becky's being the first ever "festival" beer house, which I am sure is true certainly for London. Other early "festival" pubs I recall are the Coronet Bar in Soho, the Bricklayers Arms in Shoreditch, The Anglesea Arms in South Kensington, the Sun in Lamb's Conduit Street and the Barley Mow at Tyttenhanger Green near St Albans.

    You could never describe this era as the good old days as these places were quite unusual then but today their existence would hardly raise an eyebrow.

Similar Threads

  1. The Worst Day Of The Year For Pub Regulars
    By NickDavies in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 21:38
  2. The Zythophile - The five worst beers I ever tasted
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-06-2011, 10:42
  3. Worst looking pub photo ??
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 05:48
  4. One of the worst crawls I've done.
    By Strongers in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 13:55
  5. Worst piece of art/memorabilia in a pub
    By Soup Dragon in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 23-11-2009, 11:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •