Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pub Of The Month - October 2012

Default Pub Of The Month - October 2012

A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'm going to pre-empt what I anticipate to be a number of fully-justified Black Country nominations by giving a plug to The Windmill in Mayfair.

I don't really need an excuse to visit this Youngs house located a short distance off Regent Street, but a voucher for a free pint certainly helps! Having just finished that, a smart young man came around the bar with trays of free halves of Pilsner Urquell for distribution to thirsty punters. A short while later he came back around with a free branded crystal glass in a box for anybody who wanted one. Who says that marketing doesn't work?

However, leaving that aside, I think that it's one of the best pubs in this part of London and certainly deserves a visit if in the area. I suspect that it gets somewhat overlooked because of its ownership, but the beer quality is first class and actually benefits from the loss of the brewery link (whatever you think of that decision by the board). During the recent Youngs 'beer festival', the Windmill had more interesting guest ales on than the other four outlets that I visited put together.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

My vote this month goes to The Vine This was a tough choice, as all the Black Country pubs we visited were spot on, but this one is superb.

A return visit found Carpenters Arms as good as ever. A mention for the The Two Brewers which i think i liked but i was "tired and emotional" by the time i visited and i am struggling to decipher my notes
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

My vote goes to The Ponsonby Arms in Llangollen as it has made the same type of come back as this years Camra pub of the year, The Bridge End at Ruabon, just six miles up the road.
    The Ponsenby had failed under the last three managements and had been closed for most of the year.
    It was bought from Heiniken by the landlord of the nearby GBG listed Sun Inn and reopened late August.
    It now has 12 handpumps serving 10 Real Ales and 2 traditional draught ciders. Accommodation is available and food is to be increased from the present hot snack meals to full meals.
    All the beers have been in perfect condition in my recent visits, and always will be as they are regularly "tested" by the landlord!
    The pub is now open all day.
    Last edited by AlanH; 24-10-2012 at 11:39.

I really liked The Turkey Inn at Goose Eye, but I was only there for a swift half at the start of a walk, so will have to go back some time for a more leisurely drink. It's the home of the Goose Eye Brewery, so deserves a thorough survey.

Another one that I popped into, but this time allowed myself to be tempted to stay for more than just a half: The Talbot Arms in Settle. Real Ale Ray has given this a good write up, so I'll just content myself with saying: this is my pub of the month.
    Come On You Hatters!

Not the end of the month yet but my mind has been made up,The Gunmakers visited today , my second ever visit was just perfect, the beer,especially By The Horns Lambeth Walk Porter was sublime as was the ELB Quadrant Stout my beer of the the week, add that to a pub you feel immediately comfortable in and a top notch landlord,a winner hands down.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 29-10-2012 at 18:06.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Some cracking pubs this month:Halfway House, Brenchley;Cover Bridge Inn, East Witton; Black Lion,Lynsted; and The Foundry, Canterbury. Not for the first time, and hopefully not for the last, my pub of the Month is the Cover Bridge. Probably my ideal pub. Pity it's three hundred miles from home.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    my pub of the Month is the Cover Bridge. Probably my ideal pub. Pity it's three hundred miles from home.
    An excellent choice, the best pub in Wensleydale and just to rub it in about 15 miles from my house
    Under 15 miles in the other direction is Blind Jack's my POTM.

I'll stay on me own

My pub of the month goes to the Ye Olde Salutation Inn, we had a couple of very nice pints of Harvest Pale in here after an all day session at the Nottingham beer festival.
    We visit this pub on a regular basis and never tire of going in here.
    Last edited by Al 10000; 28-10-2012 at 18:45.