Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 7th October 2012)

Default Beer of the Week (w/e 7th October 2012)

hondo: Tyne Bank Southern Star
    Mobyduck: Darkstar Greenhopped IPA
    Aqualung: White Horse Horse Rustler
    PaulOfHorsham: Red Willow Sleepless
    Thuck Phat: Byatts Urban Red
    Oggwyn Trench: Sarah Hughes Old Ruby Mild
    trainman: Marble Dobber
    Bucking Fastard: Bathams Bitter
    Spinko: Purple Moose Cwrw Glaslyn Ale
    oldboots: Sarah Hughes Old Ruby Mild
    rpadam: Bathams Mild
    aleandhearty: Jarrow Bitter
    Pubsignman: Marble Dobber
    Real Ale Ray: Bathams Mild
    hopwas: Elgood's Black Dog
    Wittenden: Tonbridge Coppernob
    london calling: Ilkley Green Goddess
    ROBCamra: Banks's Howling Wolf
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 12-10-2012 at 11:26.

Tyne Bank Brewery - Southern Star
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

As predicted in last weeks BOTW my mind has been made up, beers to this point (still two days to go) have been-
    Darkstar American pale Ale
    Darkstar Hophead
    Titanic Iceberg
    Palmers Dorset Gold
    Skinners Betty Stogs
    All good apart from the Palmers,I just dont like their beers.
    But tonight I had my first pint of the year of Darkstar Greenhopped IPA.
    O.M.G. What a beer, not only my BOTW but in all seriousness possibly my BOALTTD (Beer Of A Life Time To Date) It is simply out of this world,fantastic. I will update on further beers this week but nothing will come near to BOTW Darkstar Greenhopped IPA
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 07-10-2012 at 09:22.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I feel compelled to nominate a beer this week and it is White Horse Brewery Horse Rustler (5.4%). It is what I would describe as a dark strong bitter, but Some Might Say that it's an Old Ale, well Whatever. I must admit it was quite reminiscent of Old Peculier.

In my second pub there was a beer called (I think) Dognapper (4.8%) by the Growler Brewery, apparently a rebadge of Nethergate, so What's The Story here? According to my Googling Nethergate are now the Growler Brewery, a decision made apparently by some marketing muppet who has been on a US style Management and Marketing course, D'You Know What I Mean? As far as I'm concerned he can just Slide Away and take his Masterplan with him. The beer was another dark bitter but not in the same league as the Horse Rustler.

Inevitably I had to Acquiesce to the temptation of the King William (Brodie's brewery tap) and there were two completely new beers on, Topaz (5%) and Stepney Green Steam (4.5%).
    I tried the Topaz and it was a typical Brodie's beer, very pale with masses of hops. Over the last few months he has produced a whole collection of these single hop 5% beers using hops from All Around The World. Topaz is no exception as it is apparently a hop from Half The World Away in Australia. It did come close to edging out the Horse Rustler as it was a briliant pale bitter brew.

Anyway, to sum up my BOTW is White Horse's Horse Rustler, truly Supersonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I feel compelled to nominate a beer this week and it is White Horse Brewery Horse Rustler (5.4%). It is what I would describe as a dark strong bitter, but Some Might Say that it's an Old Ale, well Whatever. I must admit it was quite reminiscent of Old Peculier.

In my second pub there was a beer called (I think) Dognapper (4.8%) by the Growler Brewery, apparently a rebadge of Nethergate, so What's The Story here? According to my Googling Nethergate are now the Growler Brewery, a decision made apparently by some marketing muppet who has been on a US style Management and Marketing course, D'You Know What I Mean? As far as I'm concerned he can just Slide Away and take his Masterplan with him. The beer was another dark bitter but not in the same league as the Horse Rustler.

Inevitably I had to Acquiesce to the temptation of the King William (Brodie's brewery tap) and there were two completely new beers on, Topaz (5%) and Stepney Green Steam (4.5%).
    I tried the Topaz and it was a typical Brodie's beer, very pale with masses of hops. Over the last few months he has produced a whole collection of these single hop 5% beers using hops from All Around The World. Topaz is no exception as it is apparently a hop from Half The World Away in Australia. It did come close to edging out the Horse Rustler as it was a briliant pale bitter brew.

Anyway, to sum up my BOTW is White Horse's Horse Rustler, truly Supersonic.
    Whatever.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Has to be Red Willow's Sleepless at the Snowdrop's excellent Beer Expo yesterday - once again, some great beers on offer, but this surpassed them all for flavour.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

Three to go at and all slipped down very easily and were enjoyed by the assembled:
    Oakham Bishops Farewell
    Byatts Urban Red
    Church End Vicars Ruin

BOTW Byatts Urban Red, 4.5% and similar in style to Blue Monkeys 99 Red Baboons. Can't say fairer than that.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

A very good week for me including the PUG Black Country tour

Ironbridge - Blond
    Castle Rock - Harvest Pale
    Wye Valley - Butty Bach
    Salopian - Shropshire Gold
    Wye Valley - HPA
    Kinver - Half Centurian
    Burton Bridge - Porter
    Purple Moose - Myrica Ale
    Mallinsons - Lindley Pale
    Salamander - Leap of Faith
    Purity - Mad Goose
    Wood Farm - No 8
    Bathams - Bitter
    Bathams - Mild
    Sadlers - Red House
    Sarah Hughes - Old Ruby
    Ma Pardoes - Bumblehole
    Ma Pardoes - Dark Swan
    Darkstar - Sunburst
    RCH - Pitchfork
    Little Valley - Withens Pale Ale
    Abbeydale - Concussion
    Dr Mortons - Clown Poison
    Titanic - Chocolate , Vanilla Stout
    Oakham - Harvest Spirit
    I did try a few others but notes seem to be written in Russian

A tough decision but BOTW Sarah Hughes - Old Ruby Mild , a stand out beer in a day of stand out beers
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'll second Paul's mention of great beers on offer at the Snowdrop; mostly pretty strong, so things are a little hazy but I'm going for Marble Dobber.
    Tasting notes (theirs, not mine) say "A clash of English IPA style headed up with loads of NZ hops, hazy amber in colour with loads of body - toffee & caramel sweetness backed with strong bitterness and a shed load of juicy hop resins, citrus, passion fruit & gooseberry aromas"

Whilst I have the Expo notes at hand, PoH's Sleepless is described thus: "Amber ale in the American craft tradition, a lovely rich toffee malt flavour gives over to big juicyhop flavours. Finish is clean yet complex, bitter & satisfying"

My day started at Black Horse where the Doncaster guv was again on fine form, down to Brewers for next 50mins of match, plus Lotus IPA (5.6%).
    Then Snowdrop where some other beers tried were Darkstar Green Hop 6.5%, Magic Rock Cannonball 7.4%, Thornbridge/Darkstar Puja 6.7%.
    Gardeners & Croydon George followed. May explain why the dogs are still waiting for a walk, but maybe that'll help.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

The unexpected find of Blue Monkey Ape Ale in the Great Western would have topped my list on any other week,but the tour around some iconic Black Country pubs tipped the balance for BOTW to good old Bathams Bitter sampled in The Waterfall,The Bull and Bladder and a final quick half in The Great Western to finish off a memorable day.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson