Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's Real Ale Festival 24th October to 11th November 2012

This Space For Hire

i notice at the new fest that i have drank at least 15- 20 of the beers previously.Seems like the brewers are not making as much of an effort this year to brew new beers.Might be a good idea as i have noticed in the past that a lot of the beers seemed to be brewed to fit Wetherspoon prices rather than to showcase what the brewer can do.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    i notice at the new fest that i have drank at least 15- 20 of the beers previously.Seems like the brewers are not making as much of an effort this year to brew new beers.Might be a good idea as i have noticed in the past that a lot of the beers seemed to be brewed to fit Wetherspoon prices rather than to showcase what the brewer can do.
    The Spoons festival is not really a festival at all. It's just an alternative Guest Ale list for two or three weeks. The main difference is the "foreign" beers many of which are brewed allegedly by the original brewer in a UK brewery.

I've still got my extra beer tokens from the hole in the wall ready for it!

I kicked things off a day early - one of local 'Spoons had 5 available last night so I took full advantgae. some good stuff as well. Really enjoyed the Steenbrugge Blond - an easy drinkable 6%'er. Dave - Are we getting our Personal Progress Tracking chart this time? I don't think we had it last time. This was the last one... http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/core/jdbeerfest.php

I had the Steenbrugge Blond today and also thought it was excellent, I was not so impressed with the Bruin as it tasted thin to me.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Ticked off three plus a cider yesterday including the Lithuanian one. I remarked to my mate that it had that Shepherd Neame twang even before i read the notes and found that was where it was brewed. How can that be, aren't they supposed to be recreating their own beers over here. I can't believe it tastes like that in Lithuania. It didn't spoil it too much though, i thought it was an OK beer.

The Double Maxim was good and the Westons Twist interesting.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Called in JDW in Stone yesterday which managed 3 phantom festival ales not on the online list, although the programme which got left behind could differ. What made it disappointing was that all 3 were from Beartown which rather cut down on brewery choice.

The Minagof pale ale was very nice as was the Steenbrugge Blond the other non Beartown one being Sheps Red Sails which i didn,t try. Bit better planning needed from the cellarman IMO.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Unexpectedly had a few free hours in Leeds yesterday afternoon, so went to THREE 'spoons (count 'em ) in one session to see what was on offer. Ticked the following:

Thwaites - Crafty Devil.
    Moorhouses - Ruby Witch.
    Tree Brewery - Thirsty Beaver.
    Brouwerij t ij - Ijbok.
    Svyturys - Baltios.
    Avery - Three Point Five.
    Birra Del Borgo - Totto Fa Brodo.
    Roosters - Franklin.

Overall, very disappointing. Far too many insipid malty brews for my taste - of which the Ijbok was the best. Easily in the lead so far is the Avery, fantastic hop flavour for its strength, but bordering on the astringent. Not one for Gill, or Will! The Franklin was also decent but suffered by being drunk after the Avery. The Fa Brodo for all its exotic ingredients tasted not far off Peroni.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Having drawn a blank for new beers in the frankly disappointing Crosse Keys i am now in the Knights Templar and found the big hitter, the JWLees Moonraker. Quite sweet but very drinkable and I suspect a top 5 beer in what has been an unremarkable festival so far. 31 down 19 to go.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Here's something weird I've just spotted. Beer no. 48, the Steenbrugge Bruin , is shown in the tasting notes as being from the Palm brewery the same as 47 the Blond. However some of the festival T shirts call it Tongerlo Bruin from the Haacht brewery. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know why.

Disclaimer - please don't stare too hard at the T shirts if they are being worn by female members of staff !!

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Here's something weird I've just spotted. Beer no. 48, the Steenbrugge Bruin , is shown in the tasting notes as being from the Palm brewery the same as 47 the Blond. However some of the festival T shirts call it Tongerlo Bruin from the Haacht brewery. Has anyone else noticed this and does anyone know why.
    I think the Tongerlo Bruin was supposed to be part of the festival, but for some reason it never materialised so Palm ended up brewing a second beer.