Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Beaujolais Day

Default Beaujolais Day

Today is Beaujolais Nouveau Day 2011.

As is traditional at the Baum about 20 of us will be celebrating it in style.

This involves a coffee and brandy at 10, followed by a pint or two.

We then adjourn upstairs where a massive English breakfast is served and a bottle of the Beaujolais EACH.

This is interspersed with the odd pint.

We then have a comedian booked for a couple of hours.

At about 3 we all go back down into the pub and play a variation of shove halfpenny (with 50p pieces).

This involve quite a lot of shouting & banter, oh and a few more pints.

At around 6 a huge cottage pie will be served to soak up the mess, along with a pint or two of course.

Eventually we will slope off home.

Last year the last two standing (leaning more like) were Simon (the landlord) and myself.

I got home about 11:20.

I shall be setting off for this years adventure in about 30 minutes.

I may be some time.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 17-11-2011 at 08:17.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Sounds a lot of fun. I have never heard of it, but Ray said it is a race of some sort to (and or from) the French vineyard using whatever transport they could find and the winner got to the vineyard first. Something like that. Says donkeys years ago his old employer entered it. Your version sounds less energetic.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

If I recall correctly, they even used a Harrier jump jet once to deliver it somewhere.

Any excuse!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Hope you had a good day ROB......By the time your reading this, you'll probably be sorting out the duvet for the spare bedroom!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I guess you've not made it back yet then ROBC, either that or you're too p1$$ed to log on.

Didn't realise it was today, we used to celebrate Beaujolais Day years ago in a pub near my office, the Scarborough Arms around Aldgate now closed down. The day would be similar to yours. Then one year the dirty French decided to once again go on strike and blockade their ports, some rubbish about English beef imports or the like. So the landlord decided we would have an anti-Beaujolais day. So we turned up to a full English breakfast, none of the french lagers were on and there were cases of English red wine all over the bar. Lunchtime we had roast beef sandwiches in proper crusty bread, none of that French bread or baguette nonsense. In the afternoon he showed The Italian Job on video and laid on an evening buffet with cumberland sausages, English chedder, English mustard, English apples etc. etc. Plus of course loads of London Pride to supplement the red wine. I'm amazed I lasted the day to be honest.

Hope you are still alive mon ami !!
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Well I survived.

The wine wasn't bad, but the comedian was crap, we told him to finish after about 20 minutes he was so useless.

I even managed to win a game of boules at about 6 o'clock even though I was a "little merry".

I also managed to win about £8 at the "push the penny", so it was a good day out.

I got home at about 10:40 and went to bed pretty much straight away, I don't remember the other half coming to bed either.

I woke up this morning without a hangover, but I think a budgie slept in my mouth.

Oh well, no more Beaujolais for another 12 months luckily.

Well it's that time of the year again.

Beaujolais day is tomorrow starting at 10 in The Baum as usual.

Coffee, brandy, beer, a full bottle of Beaujolais all with / before / during breakfast.

Hopefully a good comedian this year, he'd better be, he cost a small fortune.

With any luck my aim will be good at the push 50p and the weather will be fine enough for a game or two of boules.

I don't know what Simon is planning for tea yet, but I suspect we'll need it.

And then of course it will be time for beer.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Thanks for the reminder didn't realise it was tomorrow. Might try to find some.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.