Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The Cask Report 2012-13

Default The Cask Report 2012-13

Pete Brown's latest report is available here.

I haven't read it yet but the PMA has a summary here

The headline is cask ale volumes grow for the first time in 20 years.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

That's very interesting,the report makes many good points. Relevant to this site,pubs that sell cask are less likely to close than non cask stockists.

The recent discussion on here about drinking widely available ale is reflected in the stat that 56% of cask drinkers need to see familiar brands while 44% are "explorers".

I'm off to explore in The Edgar Wallace shortly
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Is there not a case for the fact keg tends to be more expensive than cask as a rule with a lot of people feeling the pinch over the last couple of years some may have moved codes so to speak, or cut right back more so than cask drinkers, 50 or 60 pence a pint difference soon adds up on a night out.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 28-09-2012 at 15:28. Reason: forgot a word
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Is there not a case for the fact keg tends to be more expensive than cask as a rule with a lot of people feeling the pinch over the last couple of years some may have moved codes so to speak, or cut right back more so than cask drinkers, 50 or 60 pence a pint difference soon adds up on a night out.
    are you confusing keg ale and keg lagers.i think keg ales are cheaper than cask.i think one of the reasons is keg ales ie john smiths tastes the same in the pub as in cans but at 1/4 the price you would pay in a pub but real ale is hard to replicate .you relly need to go to a pub to get it. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    are you confusing keg ale and keg lagers.i think keg ales are cheaper than cask.i think one of the reasons is keg ales ie john smiths tastes the same in the pub as in cans but at 1/4 the price you would pay in a pub but real ale is hard to replicate .you relly need to go to a pub to get it. cheers
    I take the point about keg ales ,depending on where you drink they might be slightly cheaper than stronger ABV cask ales but the report is a comparison between cask and the overall beer market so including Lager and keg craft beer which can be very much more expensive than cask,drinking at home is always going to be cheaper but give me a pub any day.Regarding John Smiths keg , given a straight choice between that and Lager ,I would sooner tackle the Lager.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields