Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatpub.com

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I don't see anything about six digits, I'm using firefox, little about Camra makes much sense though
    I'm referring to the Camra.org web page rather than whatpub. There is an info icon just to the right of the membership number field. When the mouse button hovers over it the above is shown (in IE9).

Ah, I see. That's where you change your default password for something more secure....if you can log into the members area!

I did mine ages ago on the old website so I don't know what the current bit looks like

No problems!

They seem to be using an expanded GBG format which seems to me to be a bit over the top. Do we really need to know if a pub is "dog friendly"? The term may have a completely different meaning in Newcastle.

I can't see the project ever being completed with so much detail required. I also wasn't sure whether they intend to include all pubs or just ones selling real ale and/or cider.

My local branch which includes most of East London and most of the City seem to have done nothing sp far. I'm not surprised given the number of pubs involved. There seem to be few pubs even GBG listed ones that have the full details that I've seen so far.

I would have thought that all Spoons should have cask ale plus lunch and evening meals. It's hard to see how all these details can be obtained without interrogating the Landlord/Manager/Owner.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

What I found missing was wi-fi info. There are pubs in Cornwall with wi-fi available with Superfast Broadband that works quicker in the pub than it does on USB dongle in the caravan.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    They seem to be using an expanded GBG format
    I think this is to use the same database that the GBG is complied from. They are slightly more IT savvy than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't see the project ever being completed with so much detail required.
    You've hit it on the nail there, I guess this is why it took so long to get where it is. Some (most?) Camra branches haven't got the resources to acquire all the details required for "green" status.

I think the way ahead for this project is to make available a form for CAMRA members to add pubs with just the name and address and any optiional details.

I also think that there sould be another form with all the possible details but none compulsory.

Camra were going to bring out "What Pub" next year when it was more complete, but the "Perfect Pint" site forced them to launch it early to stop being upstaged by another site that was using Camra info as its base.

Updating WP is still only via the local branch (active or otherwise!), but hybrid "feeder" sites such as "HOPS" or "Pubzilla" can be used if the local branch uses it.

I'll stay on me own

I have read most posts on this thread and i think i am right in saying that if you are NOT a Camra member you are not allowed to view this site.
    If that is the case then they will only have a maximum of 120,000 people who are allowed to view it,surely this is not enough to keep it going.
    I am one of those who are not allowed to view this site,why are Camra not letting normal mortals like myself to see this new site

As I understand it they are not going to go public with it until it reaches a certain level of completion.
    The idea is that CAMRA members will jump up and volunteer to do the surveys, but with the level of detail they are aiming at I certainly won't be bothering.

The online form for East London has dispense methods of Handpump or Gravity, no mention of Keykeg which I understand is now CAMRA approved.

I gather they want to include keg (ie proper gassy keg) only pubs as well. What on earth is the point of having anything more than just the name and address for these?

I'm not a member of camra but did find the following on the net
    http://www.thcamra.org.uk/cms/images...vey%20form.pdf

"Only CAMRA has a semi-willing army of volunteers who can survey all the pubs."
    http://help.camrahops.com/whatpub_org.htm
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"