Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Save the Halfway House

  1. #1
    I'll stay on me own Lady Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    499

    Default Save the Halfway House

    Hi guys and girls, I wonder if anyone is interested in signing a petition to save The Halfway House pub in Box (Stroud Gloucestershire). For information about the campaign and to sign the petition, go to www.savethehalfwayhouse.com

  2. #2
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,075

    Default

    I have signed the petition because I believe that every village and community should have a pub, but I'm a little concerned about the way the campaign presents itself. It seems a little incoherent and confused. For example, it states, "The petition action is not an attack on the Chine School" but then goes on to say, "there has been a clear abuse of public TRUST and serious mismanagement of Funds by those running the Novalis Trust / Chine School." There's a subtle difference between not attacking the school and attacking the trustees. The use of capitals in the word TRUST smacks of demagoguery and the attempt to explain the background (hundreds of thousands spent on new toilets and cameras, the pub then run by another company for three and a half years) is hard for an outsider to understand. Do you have any insight into this?
    Come On You Hatters!

  3. #3
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,702

    Default

    I am normally very keen to support such campaigns, but I had a look at the website and was put off by the highly personalised nature of much of the content...

  4. #4
    Real Ale Drinker Crossste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default

    It has the makings of a cracking episode of Midsomer Murders.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

  5. #5
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    It has the makings of a cracking episode of Midsomer Murders.
    I think it was Proffesor Plum with the candlestick.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  6. #6
    I'll stay on me own Lady Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Do you have any insight into this?
    I read about the campaign in The Tippler magazine, but I had no idea at the time of reading the article, how heated this issue has become. I certainly don't want to add anymore fuel to the fire so maybe it's best left alone.

  7. #7
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Junction 5, M3 , well fairly close.
    Posts
    4,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I have signed the petition because I believe that every village and community should have a pub, but I'm a little concerned about the way the campaign presents itself. It seems a little incoherent and confused. For example, it states, "The petition action is not an attack on the Chine School" but then goes on to say, "there has been a clear abuse of public TRUST and serious mismanagement of Funds by those running the Novalis Trust / Chine School." There's a subtle difference between not attacking the school and attacking the trustees. The use of capitals in the word TRUST smacks of demagoguery and the attempt to explain the background (hundreds of thousands spent on new toilets and cameras, the pub then run by another company for three and a half years) is hard for an outsider to understand. Do you have any insight into this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    I read about the campaign in The Tippler magazine, but I had no idea at the time of reading the article, how heated this issue has become. I certainly don't want to add anymore fuel to the fire so maybe it's best left alone.
    I did sign for the same reasons as S.H. But totally agree with the other comments.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  8. #8
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,965

    Default

    "threatened legal action against the company which hosts"
    http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....ail/story.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  9. #9
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    603

    Default

    If a pub isn't able to sustain itself, let it close. Three or four main factors as I see them..

    1) People wanting to get away from a number of pubs and have house parties. Better food, more comfortable, no-one you do not want there (usually!), better music
    2) Cheaper - a combination of pubs shooting themselves in the foot, and the disparity between supermarket prices and pub prices - mainly due to economies of scale in terms of labour and rent
    3) People not able to drive around pubs in the country and have 4 or 5 pints any more
    4) Perhaps the smoking ban and people choosing to drink/smoke at home. This might be part of 1), but then again the house parties I go to generally have no-smoking-indoors rules anyway...

    The good news is that good pubs are proliferating. It's just creative destruction and the same process by which successful businesses stick around while poor ones go to the wall. It's something to be championed!

  10. #10
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    If a pub isn't able to sustain itself, let it close. Three or four main factors as I see them..

    1) People wanting to get away from a number of pubs and have house parties. Better food, more comfortable, no-one you do not want there (usually!), better music
    2) Cheaper - a combination of pubs shooting themselves in the foot, and the disparity between supermarket prices and pub prices - mainly due to economies of scale in terms of labour and rent
    3) People not able to drive around pubs in the country and have 4 or 5 pints any more
    4) Perhaps the smoking ban and people choosing to drink/smoke at home. This might be part of 1), but then again the house parties I go to generally have no-smoking-indoors rules anyway...

    The good news is that good pubs are proliferating. It's just creative destruction and the same process by which successful businesses stick around while poor ones go to the wall. It's something to be championed!
    All very valid points (except the last which is an over-simplification) but I don't think any of them are suggested as the cause of closure in this particular case. The usual course of a village consortium buying the pub looks like a non-starter and the possibility of the owners keeping the existing pub open looks remote. Of course the village does have the option of converting another building into a pub, I shouldn't think the planners or licensing authorities could object in this case.
    There are many diseases,
    that strike people's kneeses,
    Covid19! is one by name
    It comes from the East
    Packed in bladders of yeast
    So the Chinese must take half the blame.

    Apologies to Spike Milligan

Similar Threads

  1. Halfway House
    By AlanH in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 07:02
  2. Student Brewer - Hay Festival Halfway
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 18:32
  3. Halfway House Failsworth
    By Wild Rover in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-02-2011, 10:50
  4. Paul Bailey's Beer Blog - Halfway to Paradise
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-08-2010, 21:19
  5. Halfway House, Bontddu
    By rpadam in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 18:46

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •