Visit the The Good Stuff site

This popped up in Booth’s recently; the bucolic country-esque label enough to pique the interest.
I hadn’t heard of the Les Brasseurs De Gayant before, but looking at their site it seems they produce rustic styles; Saison, Biere*De Garde, Wheat and Weiss – and judging at the amount of staff it has, it’s a decent-sized operation with a large portfolio. Anyway, onto the beer.
La Goudale (7.8%abv) is loosely a Biere De Garde, but on the stronger side of things. That alcohol warmth does come through at the end of the sip, just a little kick to remind you that it’s there. Up until that point, things remain fairly light; a fluffy, dense head, with an interesting wild-meadow nose with hints of Lemon, Lavender and even Coriander seed knocking about.
There’s not much complexity in the body, to be honest. It’s grainy, with strong honeyed notes that do round out the flavour somewhat. In the end, it’s a satisfying enough beer, and with it being a little stronger it kind of comes across as a weaker Tripel or a ‘wild’ pale ale, if you will.

I enjoyed a few slices of Tarte Au Citron with this; not home-made, I must stress. We had some left over from the night before and it fared well; both the ale and the Tarte increasing in sweetness, but neither overpowering the other. Sharp, citrus desserts are good with Saison, Wheat and Biere De Garde – give them a try.

More...