Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Spring meet 2013 - Leicester (The isn't it about time we had another PuG meet up)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Well I've just shelled out for my train ticket for March 22nd,so I really hope I won't be on a one man crawl.

Arriving at Leicester at 11.29am and leaving there at 20.36pm,that should be enough time for a serious tour of the city.

Anyone got any ideas of pubs that should not be missed and an optimal route ?

It's been three years since my last trip there and only The Criterion was visited,so for me this is a voyage of discovery into pastures new.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    so I really hope I won't be on a one man crawl:
    I'm pretty sure that won't be the case BF. I'll be keeping my travel powder dry until the megatkts become available. I'll post here when they do.
    The Pub is a great start and almost certainly the best meeting point (lots of choice), I've given up on Barley Mow now this one is open. Must-dos include Swan&Rushes, Criterion, Gill's Salmon, Globe (but this was closed, maybe for refurb,on my last visit), the 70s experience (& price) of Shakespeare's Head. Of the Steamin Billy pubs I prefer Cow&Plough to Western, but is further out & logistics may not allow (Western is still pretty good). I quite like the Ale Wagon, although I can understand folk who opine it to have a slightly chilly atmos.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Of the Steamin Billy pubs I prefer Cow&Plough to Western, but is further out & logistics may not allow (Western is still pretty good).
    I was going to suggest a bus trip out to Stoughton Grange for the Cow & Plough, especially as there is a bus stop marked just opposite the entrance on Google maps, but I've not been able to find any info about buses that stop there. (It's a "hail&ride" stop, which means there's no actual pillar or pole with a sign atop, you just wait hopefully by the side of the road until a bus turns up - which it inevitably does just when you've gone behind a nearby bush for a pee. )

The nearest actual bus route I've found is the 40 (0.6 miles) but it doesn't go to or from the city centre. The 31 bus stops a little further away (0.9 miles) and the 80 a little further still (1.2 miles - and only runs in university term time).

A better option might be to arrange to share taxis or see if we can get a mini-bus cab. Perhaps we can discuss when we meet at the pub. Or should that be The Pub? ("Where are we meeting for the start of the pub crawl?" "At The Pub." "Yes, but which pub?" "The Pub on New Walk." "Oh, that pub!")
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Well I've just shelled out for my train ticket for March 22nd,so I really hope I won't be on a one man crawl.

Arriving at Leicester at 11.29am and leaving there at 20.36pm, (SNIPPED)
    BF you should have hung on for the "Megatrain" tickets to open up. They're edging forward at the moment by a day or two every day or two, now open until Tues 26th Feb, with the 1229 arrival and 2036 departure £1 each way on that Tuesday for example.............

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by an_ecumenical_matter View Post
    BF you should have hung on for the "Megatrain" tickets to open up. They're edging forward at the moment by a day or two every day or two, now open until Tues 26th Feb, with the 1229 arrival and 2036 departure £1 each way on that Tuesday for example.............
    I didn't realise how Megatrain works,so thanks for the info.It seems to be a" city to city " ticket deal whereas I need to also get a peak hour return from the wilds of Hertfordshire which would add some cost,however £1 tickets on the main line still sounds unbeatable.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I should be able to make this , i have booked the day off provisionally just need to get it signed off by the gaffer to confirm , should be no problems
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I have the day booked off and am awaiting further info regarding the train tix from AEM...looking forward to it already!!!

Also day booked as holiday and baring last minute disasters, should be there.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

I fancy jumping in on this trip,I'll try to book the day off when the boss man's back from holiday in a couple of weeks, march unfortunatley is a busy time at work but I'll give it a go.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Hoping to make this one, just not quite sure of my availability yet.

Want to get there though, looks like it could be a very good turn out!