Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel Islands

Default Channel Islands

Am I going mad again, or is it not possible to review jersey and guernsey pubs here?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I cannot answer for Conrad & co, but maybe because they are separate jurisdiction & do not have Post Codes? Just a guess & likely to be wrong as usual
    I drink to make others more interesting

They do have a post code - I tried to put in the one I was in last nigjt: je2 4wg - but the database just says it's not a valid postcode

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I cannot answer for Conrad & co, but maybe because they are separate jurisdiction & do not have Post Codes? Just a guess & likely to be wrong as usual
    I think you are right about that Farway,because they have a seperate jurisdiction they are not a part of the United Kingdom, they are under the Crown which is why the Queens Head is on their stamps but as i said before not a part of the Uk which is the reason why the pubs on these island are not on Pubs Galore.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I think it's generally based around post codes as I was able to add a number of pubs in Belfast following a visit. They use a UK post code system whilst the south doesn't. Although Jersey and Guernsey have UK looking post codes I wonder if they are on a separate system than those on the mainland. But you are right, the search page does say that pubs in Jersey are not supported. If you have a few reviews maybe set up a thread on the forums to hold them. I did this for Gibraltar, although I've not yet completed it.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire

I guess because they have their own postal systems, not the Royal Mail, thus is is a different database.

Millay, I intend to do exactly that when I get back. Trying to do it on an iPod on a rocking boat is just too difficult.

Default Ha'penny Bridge, St Helier

Now I'm back on dry land and settled, my Odyssey complete, I'll start putting my notes on CI pubs down.

After over a week at sea, almost any pint would have done, but as luck would have it, the first pub you see when leaving the Marina showers in St Helier is the Ha'penny Bridge, a three-storey Victorian sea-front house situated just over the road from the Maritime Museum (which also harbours, as it were, the Marina Offices and facilities).

The Ha'penny Bridge is a freehouse and resembles the lovechild of a continental cafe and a European Irish bar. Indeed, it says "Irish Bar" on the sign outside, but it has at the front all the table and chairs you would expect to find in front of, say, a French pavement cafe. Inside is a single large bar, quite dark, but with comfy seats and a loud, friendly atmosphere (and that's before they start on the live acts). The staff were congenial and efficient, happy to chat and full of good humour. The clientele seemed to include a lot of happy Canadians drinking "authentic" Guiness and proving that their French was actually not as good as most Jersey-ites'.

Three taps on the bar (alongside the usual selection of Guiness, Megekeg and continental urea-based beverages), but only one ale on - the locally-brewed Liberation Ale, which was very pleasant indeed, full of flavour and most welcome.

A definite for quenching a sea-induced thirst and a good place to start a St Helier crawl. A solid 7/10 to start the libations.
    Last edited by ETA; 19-09-2012 at 14:02.

Default Southampton Hotel, St Helier

Just across a potentially lethal road junction from the Ha'penny Bridge, on the corner of Route de la Liberation and what I think is Mulcaster Street is another three storey late-Victorian house built in 1899, the Southampton Hotel. This is a traditional seaside pub, with two bars on the ground floor and a well-preserved original structure.It has tv screens - both flat screen and an old CRT set - but these were switched off despite the abundance of sporting opportunities, including the Paralympic closing ceremony being available.

The general air was of "unhurriedness"; the framed pictures around the walls seemed to suck the vigour out of the day, the decor is shabby, the clientele mostly old French people (and a few old locals). It felt a bit dark and dingy. On the plus side, the beer was good - Liberation Ale (again) which was fresh, tasty and very thirst-quenching. We quenched our thirsts 4 or 5 times and left sated.

It's ok for a quick, quiet pint, but it lacks substance as pubs go. A workmanlike 6/10.
    Last edited by ETA; 19-09-2012 at 14:58.

Default The Lamplighter, St Helier

Just inland from the Marina a little way up Mulcaster Street is The Lamplighter, a CAMRA favourite and GBG regular. It's a traditional town pub, narrow and long, with a small drinking area at the front which has a variety of seats and a larger drinking/dining area behind, mostly taken up by tables laid out for diners. The floors are carpeted, there are tv screens which don't really intrude and there is a selection of tankards hanging from the ceiling. It's atmospheric, and it still has on display the original gas lamps which reflect its name, and there is a pewter-topped bar in part. It prides itself on serving the best pub grub in Jersey; I can't vouch for the validity of that, but it was nonetheless a good bar meal, served by the chef himself who was very good natured. The staff were friendly and knowledgable (with the exception of one surly female), while the clientele were eclectic and, for the most part, civilised.

Behind the front bar is an ominous looking collection of bell jars containing various coulours of (what look home-made) fruit vodkas, politely labelled as toxic. The jewel in the crown is the beer: 8 ales and Old Rosie cider. I quality checked the Wychwood Bountiful, Marston's Five Hops, Wells's Eagle, Old Thumper, Forty Niner, EPA and Courage Best before last orders was called and found every single one to be in top condition.

A must for ale lovers and a definite inclusion in any crawl. Gets a 9/10 from me.
    Last edited by ETA; 20-09-2012 at 13:09.