Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Channel Islands

Hybrid View

Default Channel Islands

Am I going mad again, or is it not possible to review jersey and guernsey pubs here?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I cannot answer for Conrad & co, but maybe because they are separate jurisdiction & do not have Post Codes? Just a guess & likely to be wrong as usual
    I drink to make others more interesting

They do have a post code - I tried to put in the one I was in last nigjt: je2 4wg - but the database just says it's not a valid postcode

Default Peirson, St Helier

Royal Square, in the centre of St Helier, resembles a continental town square with seating around for the various cafes and bars which surround it. One is a Georgian town house, now a pub called Pierson, named after Major Henry Pierson who bravely defended the Town against the race now known (at least by Clarkson fans) as "cheese eating surrender monkeys" during the Battle of Jersey in 1781.

Inside is a rambling bar with a mix of wood and carpeted floors, jukebox and tv screens. Outside is brightened up by hanging baskets with flowers in and is lively due to the outside seating. The staff are a little unfriendly, but the food is good and the beer average. Two ales on, Bass and Liberation Ale. Both were ok but not brilliant: the Bass was a little insipid and was served too cold, while the Liberation was simply past its best, leaving me wondering how this pub justifies its GBG entry.

It's worth including in a crawl as it is so close to the Cock and Bottle (indeed, you might not even have to change seats) and the food is good, but I think they need to stop resting on their laurels vis a vis the beer. 6/10

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I cannot answer for Conrad & co, but maybe because they are separate jurisdiction & do not have Post Codes? Just a guess & likely to be wrong as usual
    I think you are right about that Farway,because they have a seperate jurisdiction they are not a part of the United Kingdom, they are under the Crown which is why the Queens Head is on their stamps but as i said before not a part of the Uk which is the reason why the pubs on these island are not on Pubs Galore.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I think it's generally based around post codes as I was able to add a number of pubs in Belfast following a visit. They use a UK post code system whilst the south doesn't. Although Jersey and Guernsey have UK looking post codes I wonder if they are on a separate system than those on the mainland. But you are right, the search page does say that pubs in Jersey are not supported. If you have a few reviews maybe set up a thread on the forums to hold them. I did this for Gibraltar, although I've not yet completed it.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire

I guess because they have their own postal systems, not the Royal Mail, thus is is a different database.

Default St Peter Port, Ship and Crown

After a good day-sail from Jersey, we arrived in St Peter Port, moored on a guest pontoon and took the dinghy across to Victoria Pier. The first pub you see as you leave the Pier is The Ship and Crown, which is entered by walking up a flight of steps as the entrance is a storey above ground level. It's a GBG pub which is garishly painted on the outside, but quite cosy inside. The top floor of the building is occupied by The Crow's nest restaurant, the same business but which only offers bottled beers.

The pub was busy, the staff friendly, but some of the locals were rather tedious, and there was a profusion of drunk teenagers. Other clientele were less othersome, though, so it is a mixed bag here. There were tables and bar stools available, bar snacks,on offer and the ambiance was fine.

Two ales on: I had Liberation Ambree, a French-styled twist from Liberation Ales on Jersey. It was quite pleasant, a bit of a novelty, and made a nice change - I don't think it would become a firm favourite though. It was well kept, however, and the GBG entry seems deserved. I'd be happy to come back anytime, and the pub gets a 7/10 from me.

Default The Halkett Pub and Eating House, St Helier

Further along Mulcaster Street is Halkett Place, an unremarkable shopping street. Half way up is Halkett's, a large, modern wine bar style pub/restaurant, with a slightly trendy feel. It's essentially an open plan, ground floor shop conversion, a bit like an up-market JDW that's been well decorated. Floors are mostly wooden, with a few raised areas which are carpeted. There's a good bistro-style menu and a reasonable selection of wines. The soundtrack was subdued but still made for a pleasant ambiance. Staff were very helpful and friendly, and there was free wifi available.

There were 3 ales on: I had a pint of Liberation Royale, which came i an odd-shaped glass, a bit like a Belgian beer glass. It was served a bit too cold for my liking, but it tasted OK.

I'd happily come back here for a meal and a few pints and I would include on a crawl. 7/10

Default Cock and Bottle, St Helier

Still in Royal Square (as alluded to, there is no need actually to move if you get the right seat and no-one notices which bar you're buying from) The Cock and Bottle is another Georgian town house housing the Cock and Bottle. It consists of two pleasant bars on the ground and first floors, lots of timber (beams, staircase) on display and appears to have undergone a recent refurb. There is also a stone inglenook on the ground floor, which hints at a much older structure. The staff were fantastically welcoming, friendly and chatty and the atmosphere was very pleasant. Food looked ok, but we had just eaten next door so didn't partake. Free wifi was also available. Only one ale on, Liberation, which was in OK condition and went down well. I'd be happy to come back here anytime and include in a crawl. 7/10