Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Called to the Bar - Hail Hayle Bay Honey IPA

Automated Tracker

Default Called to the Bar - Hail Hayle Bay Honey IPA

Visit the Called to the bar site

Here’s the delivery man with a large package, it’s beer mate he says without too much surprise, as he’s a regular. Yes it’s beer, a mini cask of Sharps’ Hayle Bay Honey IPA, which I cannot wait to try but given that it’s 10am I think I’ll wait a few hours. And I did wait and then spent Friday and Saturday in contemplation. I liked it, I liked it a lot, I liked the glorious contrast between the pungent sexy aroma of the hop and a more delicate lycee note that brought to mind the sort of sketches Picasso used to knock out on the back of a napkin (I once meant someone who had one but then he’d lost it in the war). It’s a rough and refined nose at once, one you could argue represents the character of its maker. It’s a bittersweet, robust, chunky beer, sometimes rough and ready and then gentle and persuasive. It’s a tropical fruit celebration such as ripe mango and lycee and a delightful breakfast platter of brioche sweetness. It’s got a swagger and strut that that reminds me of those films of Jagger onstage at the end of the 60s, or maybe go back further in time to sweet Gene Vincent. This is a beer with attitude, an altitude, a big rocker of a beer that mashes up sweetness and suaveness and the sexiness of ripe fruit skin all in one glorious go.

More...

Quote Originally Posted by Blog Tracker View Post

It’s a bittersweet, robust, chunky beer, sometimes rough and ready and then gentle and persuasive. It’s a tropical fruit celebration such as ripe mango and lycee and a delightful breakfast platter of brioche sweetness.

It's amazing what they can do with hops these days: now we've got a beer that not only tastes of mango and brioche, but also like a French high school. Good grief!

[Chambers gives many alternative spellings of that Chinese fruit that makes guest appearances in so many beers these days: lychee, litchi, lichee, lichi and leechee are all options; lycée is something else altogether, and has even less of an appropriate place in a beer than the fruit.]
    Come On You Hatters!