Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Bad about Shepherd Neame

I spent a holiday in Kent. I tried the range of Shepherd Neame ales. They all tasted the same to me, and I didn't like them. Even now, if I see an SN ale I've not tried, I'll always give it a go, but it still tastes like all the others.

I find they have a slightly strange taste, rather akin to the odd flavour of a boiled sweet you have found in your pocket, that may have been there for years and is covered in fluff, but you give it a go anyway, then wish you hadn't, but can't spit it out because you're meeting your wife's best friend and her partner and to spit it out would give a bad impression. So you work it around until its gone, trying not to grimace while you're doing so.

In fact, Shepherd Neame is, in my opinion, simply unpleasant.
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I'm not a Sheps fan either and, like the General, think they all taste much the same, with the possible exception of Bishops Finger. It's that musty almost sulpherous tinge that I find unpleasant. Strongers' mention of soil is a good description and I often feel as if I've been chewing a stick of chalk after finishing a pint.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

There is no doubt it is an acquired taste ,but if you acquire it ,its not so bad,it took me 30 years.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    There is no doubt it is an acquired taste ,but if you acquire it ,its not so bad,it took me 30 years.
    But was it worth it with the plethora of micro brews and interesting beers around now?
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    But was it worth it with the plethora of micro brews and interesting beers around now?
    Absolutely not, but if I do find myself in a Sheps pub for whatever reason, it's not the disaster it once was.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Absolutely not, but if I do find myself in a Sheps pub for whatever reason, it's not the disaster it once was.
    I understand that, there are some i interesting SN pubs around and I now know enough about their beers to want to go in and be selective as to what i drink

I'm not a Sheps fan either and, like the General, think they all taste much the same, with the possible exception of Bishops Finger. It's that musty almost sulpherous tinge that I find unpleasant. Strongers' mention of soil is a good description and I often feel as if I've been chewing a stick of chalk after finishing a pint.
    I understand this comment as I think that Adnams beers also have this quality, I can only think that it's down to the water or yeast strain. I've always thought that Marston's beers and the original Ind Coope Burton Ale had this "sulphur" like hint similar to Sheps and Adnams. Burton water originates from limestone while Sheps I assume originates from the chalk downs.

My knowledge of the Southwold geology is zero, but I wouldn't mind betting that there is chalk or limestone in the area.

Nobody's mentioned Shep's Pilot brewery or the ales emanating therefrom ; I've never seen any nor tried 'em, not for want of trying. Some are said to be excellent-I think the wonderful Porter is one.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post

My knowledge of the Southwold geology is zero, but I wouldn't mind betting that there is chalk or limestone in the area.
    aqualung, my friend, don't you start away uneasy.... You're right that there is a lot of chalk just to the south of faversham. Personally, I am a great fan of sheps's distinctive flavours. I grew up in kent, so it's quite natural for me.

Oddly, I'm writing this in jersey, where I've just had a fantastic pint of Canterbury jack.
    Last edited by ETA; 10-09-2012 at 23:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I understand this comment as I think that Adnams beers also have this quality, I can only think that it's down to the water or yeast strain. I've always thought that Marston's beers and the original Ind Coope Burton Ale had this "sulphur" like hint similar to Sheps and Adnams. Burton water originates from limestone while Sheps I assume originates from the chalk downs.

To be a bit boring and technical, the water in Burton is high in gypsum and other salts and reckoned to be perfect for brewing pale ales. As a result most brewers "Burtonize" their water when making bitter, in other words they add gypsum etc to it to make it similar to the chemical profile of Burton water. These salts are the source of the sulphur flavour or "Burton Snatch" that used to be found in Bass and Pedigree but much less so now in my opinion. Adnams have always had a slightly sea weedy taste to me. I don't often get to drink Shep's beers.