Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Worst real ale drinking town.

  1. #31
    Real Ale Drinker Crossste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Is your head hurting now Crosste?

    In that case I can tell you that Whittles was formerly the Sergeant At Arms.
    Nice one Rob. Would never have got that. Where did you pluck that from.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

  2. #32
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Near me:

    Newbury is pretty poor for its size and wealth, two new Spoons opening up a while ago was greeted eagerly by the local CAMRA brnach which says a lot.

    Swindon
    is also pretty crap.

    But the winner is Slough. Though given it's almost an outpost of Pakistan these days it's hardly a surprise.

  3. #33
    Glass Half Empty General Staal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the north of Birmingham
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Easy - the Castle Bromwich/Hodge Hill area of Birmingham. Never go there for ale.
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

  4. #34
    Real Ale Drinker Crossste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post

    But the winner is Slough. Though given it's almost an outpost of Pakistan these days it's hardly a surprise.
    Slough could well give Marple a run for its money from what i remember of it. We stayed in a Copthorne hotel prior to a Rugby League world cup final some time in the 90s and it was dire then. If its got worse the heaven help it.

    John Betjaman would appear to have been right.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

  5. #35
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Slough could well give Marple a run for its money from what i remember of it. We stayed in a Copthorne hotel prior to a Rugby League world cup final some time in the 90s and it was dire then. If its got worse the heaven help it.

    John Betjaman would appear to have been right.
    Apart from here The Rose & Crown which is excellent.

    My saviour when I worked in Slough for 16 months!!
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  6. #36
    Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.
    Posts
    928

    Default

    I may be doing these towns a disservice as it's been a while, but my years of trawling around Conference North football grounds has provided me with several poor drinking towns. The lowest accolades would probably go to Gainsborough, Alfreton and Hucknall, although two of these are still ok destinations due to their proximity to Nottingham.

    In the south, well yes, Slough no question and for similar demographic reasons Southall, but Woking is very disappointing for a town of its size. As for Farnborough! Except the one out of town near Farnborough North. Prince of Wales

  7. #37
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Near me:

    Newbury is pretty poor for its size and wealth, two new Spoons opening up a while ago was greeted eagerly by the local CAMRA brnach which says a lot.

    Swindon
    is also pretty crap.

    But the winner is Slough. Though given it's almost an outpost of Pakistan these days it's hardly a surprise.
    There's around 7 decent boozers in Swindon. The Steam Railway Company is my pick of the lot, handily separated into a little room for real ale (around 6 or so on, from memory) and chat, with another area for us kids to watch sport and play pool.

  8. #38
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    As for Farnborough! Except the one out of town near Farnborough North. Prince of Wales
    Yes definitely an awful place (apart from the PoW), foul beer, foul pubs and foul people.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  9. #39
    Down but not out Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    North East Hampshire
    Posts
    3,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Yes definitely an awful place (apart from the PoW), foul beer, foul pubs and foul people.
    Harsh but spot on.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  10. #40
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    River Lee Navigation
    Posts
    2,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    The lowest accolades would probably go to Gainsborough........
    If you are going back to Gainsborough Trinity FC and are prepared to walk down the the river front,The Eight Jolly Brewers has always proved a lifesaver when ever I've stopped overnight on the pontoon mooring.Shame the local yoof aren't as welcoming,but that's another story.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Similar Threads

  1. The Pub Curmudgeon - Real beer, real counties
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-05-2012, 15:12
  2. Worst looking pub photo ??
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 06:48
  3. One of the worst crawls I've done.
    By Strongers in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 14:55
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-03-2010, 21:00
  5. Worst piece of art/memorabilia in a pub
    By Soup Dragon in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 23-11-2009, 12:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •