Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 9th September 2012)

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Took my sons to The Royal Exchange,Stone to further their education.Titanic served up a master class.For an eighteen year old to say that Titanic MILD was about the best beer he had ever tasted ,and it was bloody good,is very encouraging .The White Star ,Plumb Porter and Triple Screw were all great but my BOTW was Titanic Iceberg,for unadulterated bitterness. I must find out how many IBU's it is,it always demands a second.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Glass Half Empty

A slightly varied week for me:
    Roosters Welsummer
    Hook Norton Old Hooky
    Hopback Golden Grist
    Redemption Urban Dusk
    Twickenham Hornet, Naked Ladies and Sundancer
    Leeds Samba
    Titanic Cappucino
    Tillingbourne Falls Gold
    Surrey Hills Greensand IPA

Greensand was excellent as usual, I also enjoyed the Roosters, and congratulations to Titanic for a coffee flavoured beer that actually seems to work. I think I'll go for the Redemption as overall BOTW though
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Minehead Beer Festival:

Yeovil Star Gazer
    Yeovil Ruby
    Thornbridge Sequoia
    Six Trees Onslaught
    Steel City New Dawn Fades
    Surrey Hills Greensands IPA
    Magic Rock Curious
    Montys Moonrise
    Moor Hoppiness
    Garage Young Bob
    Blue Monkey Infinity
    Andwell Gold Muddler.

My festival Scores gave a tie between the Moor, Blue Monkey and the Surrey Hills but the BOTW was the Blue Monkey Infinity

My BOTW is Bowman Swift One - a beer I've had on several occassions previously, but never in as excellent shape as it was in the Artillary Arms, Southsea on Tuesday.

Not far behind were Hawkshead Cumbrian Five Hop and Butcombe Bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    A slightly varied week for me:
    Roosters Welsummer
    Hook Norton Old Hooky
    Hopback Golden Grist
    Redemption Urban Dusk
    Twickenham Hornet, Naked Ladies and Sundancer
    Leeds Samba
    Titanic Cappucino
    Tillingbourne Falls Gold
    Surrey Hills Greensand IPA

Greensand was excellent as usual, I also enjoyed the Roosters, and congratulations to Titanic for a coffee flavoured beer that actually seems to work. I think I'll go for the Redemption as overall BOTW though
    I'm glad you quoted this one as BOTW as I either nominated or intended to nominate it some weeks ago (I can't remember if I actually posted!). To me it is a superb dark bitter, an uncommon species in the world of ubiqitous golden ales (which I don't actually dislike).
    Last edited by Aqualung; 12-09-2012 at 00:14. Reason: speling

Glass Half Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm glad you quoted this one as BOTW as I either nominated or intended to nominate it some weeks ago (I can't remember if I actually posted!). To me it is a superb dark bitter, an uncommon species in the world of ubiqitous golden ales (which I don't actually dislike).
    I couldn't agree more, Aqualung. Funnily enough I really enjoyed a pint of it a couple of weeks ago and failed to nominate, mainly because it was towards the end of a long session and I noted it somewhere I then lost, and I'm still not sure where I had that pint, except that it was somewhere up in Cleethorpes. It might well have been the Swash Buckle Tavern, as I know I had a really good pint of something there but also couldn't remember what that was. So when I saw it on in the Old Bell in Fleet St (source of many of by BsOTW these days) I had to give it a go, and it was even better from a sober lunchtime start than at the end of a session.

I couldn't agree more, Aqualung. Funnily enough I really enjoyed a pint of it a couple of weeks ago and failed to nominate, mainly because it was towards the end of a long session and I noted it somewhere I then lost, and I'm still not sure where I had that pint, except that it was somewhere up in Cleethorpes. It might well have been the Swash Buckle Tavern, as I know I had a really good pint of something there but also couldn't remember what that was. So when I saw it on in the Old Bell in Fleet St (source of many of by BsOTW these days) I had to give it a go, and it was even better from a sober lunchtime start than at the end of a session.
    There's a saying that I have found true on a few occasions that the best pint on a crawl is usually the first one of the day.

I had their Hopspur last Friday and that was pretty good too. I hope this brewery has a rewarding future along with Brodies and ELB.

I can't believe that the explosion of new breweries and total refurbishment of some pubs in NE London is actually happening. I suspect that the local Spoons, which are mostly pretty good and some very good, along with the William IV in Leyton will remain the best value.

Glass Half Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    There's a saying that I have found true on a few occasions that the best pint on a crawl is usually the first one of the day.

I had their Hopspur last Friday and that was pretty good too. I hope this brewery has a rewarding future along with Brodies and ELB.

I can't believe that the explosion of new breweries and total refurbishment of some pubs in NE London is actually happening. I suspect that the local Spoons, which are mostly pretty good and some very good, along with the William IV in Leyton will remain the best value.
    I often find my second pint on a crawl is the best - this may be because I tend to be a bit more randomly adventurous with the first, and more discerning with the second. Or just because my taste buds take a while to wake up properly.

I've never tried the William IV, must do that some time. NE London is not a direction I normally go in. Spending much of my time on a particularly frustrating project in Fleet St however has allowed me to try out most places round there. When my boss asked me several months into the project whether I felt I'd achieved anything with it, I was able to confirm that my knowledge of pubs in EC4 had increased exponentially.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    For an eighteen year old to say that Titanic MILD was about the best beer he had ever tasted ,and it was bloody good,is very encouraging .
    Looks like the Master has taught young Grasshopper well.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I often find my second pint on a crawl is the best - this may be because I tend to be a bit more randomly adventurous with the first, and more discerning with the second. Or just because my taste buds take a while to wake up properly.

I've never tried the William IV, must do that some time. NE London is not a direction I normally go in. Spending much of my time on a particularly frustrating project in Fleet St however has allowed me to try out most places round there. When my boss asked me several months into the project whether I felt I'd achieved anything with it, I was able to confirm that my knowledge of pubs in EC4 had increased exponentially.
    Brodies have two other pubs, the Old Coffee House in Soho and the Cross Keys in Covent Garden which is GBG listed. I haven't been to either but I know they are more expensive than the William (£2.35 for cask and £3.20 for Keykeg). If you visit any of them I would recommend that you don't disregard the Keykeg beers. They are not gassy at all but they do tend to come up colder than one would like. This isn't a problem in hot weather as it soon warms up. When I first saw this method of dispense I was very suspicious of it, but now I'm quite happy to partake of them if there is nothing appealing on cask.

I believe that two of Brodies classics Hackney Red and Dalston Black are now only going to be available on this system. I was lucky to sample both on cask at their last festival.

If you do go to the William make sure to drop in the GBG listed Drum as well, it's one of Spoons earliest pubs and has more of a pub atmosphere than most. It's a two minute walk (depending on the pedestrian lights) walk from the William.