Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Craft Beer

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I will likely be trying one or two key-keg beers at the Hand in Falmouth today. They have a stillage of cask beers set up, but they have Magic Rock key-kegs including Curious OZ (I think it was the Curious one he had the little round clip for) and High Wire. Should be a good day. Looking forward to Cask Five Points beer they have on. New brewery for me. Another from London E8.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I will likely be trying one or two key-keg beers at the Hand in Falmouth today. They have a stillage of cask beers set up, but they have Magic Rock key-kegs including Curious OZ (I think it was the Curious one he had the little round clip for) and High Wire. Should be a good day. Looking forward to Cask Five Points beer they have on. New brewery for me. Another from London E8.
    I've tried both of those Magic Rock beers on cask and to be honest I can't imagine how keykeg dispense would suit them at all.

If there's a 6% Five Points Red beer there I can recommend it!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I guess you didnt have any then, absoloutly ridiculous price.
    You guessed right Moby.It was specially brewed for them 59 firkins of it so don't rush to get it. It may be around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Saw a craft beer in the Craft beer co Brixton last night
    Siren/Pizza Port collab called Big Inflatable Cowboy Hat 10.5
    the reason I knew it was craft beer ? easy £9.90 a pint.
    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    You guessed right Moby.It was specially brewed for them 59 firkins of it so don't rush to get it. It may be around for a while.
    In town tomorrow starting at The William the 1V then down to Hackney and maybe tempted at some point to try some craft offerings , but not at that price or anywhere near.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

In town tomorrow starting at The William the 1V then down to Hackney and maybe tempted at some point to try some craft offerings , but not at that price or anywhere near.
    Good luck with the William tomorrow Moby! Have a pint of Big Mofo Stout for me. There is supposed to be a CASK version of Hoxton Special IPA (6.6%) this weekend.

The cask selection on Thursday was fairly limited for me but there were the lower ABV ones (I remember seeing Mild. London Fields, Citra and Shoreditch Sunshine). The Drum had the London Fields Black Path Porter (4.2%) but it may well have all gone by Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Good luck with the William tomorrow Moby! Have a pint of Big Mofo Stout for me. There is supposed to be a CASK version of Hoxton Special IPA (6.6%) this weekend.

The cask selection on Thursday was fairly limited for me but there were the lower ABV ones (I remember seeing Mild. London Fields, Citra and Shoreditch Sunshine). The Drum had the London Fields Black Path Porter (4.2%) but it may well have all gone by Saturday.
    Cheers Aqualung , will look out for the above but will probably steer clear of the bigger hitting ABV's at that time of the day, although may have a sneaky half if something really catches the eye. Iwill let you know how I got on.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 15-06-2013 at 05:57.
    -W.C.Fields

Cheers Aqualung , will look out for the above but will probably steer clear of the bigger hitting ABV's at that time of the day, although may have a sneaky half if something really catches the eye. Iwill let you know how I got on.
    I shall summarise my day where it should be on th pub crawl thread part of my experience today is relevant here . Didnt have as much time in the King William 1V as hoped so restricted to just one pint here, I was after trying some Big Mofo Stout ,egged on by Aqualung ,not that I need egging on ,but unfortunatley this didnt happen.So when I spotted it later in the day in the Cock tavern I thought my luck was in , just a half was required so I requested such ,and fair play to the barman he said " do you want to pay £3.90 for a half ", to which I replied the obvious , hence I have still not tasted it. Bearing in mind a full pint in the William 1V would have cost me something in the region of £3.40 (correct me if I'm wrong here Aqualung) , It seems the great craft beer rip off is going strong.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 15-06-2013 at 22:38. Reason: Capital C required for Cock!
    -W.C.Fields

I shall summarise my day where it should be on th pub crawl thread part of my experience today is relevant here . Didnt have as much time in the King William 1V as hoped so restricted to just one pint here, I was after trying some Big Mofo Stout ,egged on by Aqualung ,not that I need egging on ,but unfortunatley this didnt happen.So when I spotted it later in the day in the Cock tavern I thought my luck was in , just a half was required so I requested such ,and fair play to the barman he said " do you want to pay £3.90 for a half ", to which I replied the obvious , hence I have still not tasted it. Bearing in mind a full pint in the William 1V would have cost me something in the region of £3.40 (correct me if I'm wrong here Aqualung) , It seems the great craft beer rip off is going strong.
    As I noted in the other thread, when I got to the William in the evening there was Citra For Breakfast (10.1%) and whisky barrel aged Romanov Stout (12.1%). The blanket price for the keykeg is currently £3.30 a pint, but they are thinking of pricing the ones over 9% (I think it was) at £4.50, which probably means it will happen.
    Given that the excise duty and VAT comes to over two quid for a pint of Romanov, it's not really surprising. I wouldn't pay over a fiver for any pint apart from possibly the Brodie's Elizabethan (22%) but I would have to be in a very strange frame of mind indeed to think that I would actually enjoy drinking a pint of that stuff!

I was interested to see the question posed in a recent review of the Old Coffee House as to whether the keykeg options were significantly affecting the throughput and hence quality of the cask ales. I can't speak for the Old Coffee House, but the William has fewer casks than it used to. However, there is usually a reasonable choice especially at the weekend and there is a new bloke doing some strerling work in the cellar. Some casks come up much better than others, the Old Strret Pale last night was outstanding, but it's not one for the Brown Bitter Brigade.

I'll stay on me own

I was drinking proper beer yesterday in Shropshire from Joules,Salopian and Marstons and not one was more that £3.00 for a pint and many were at the £2.50 a pint mark.

If idiots want to drink key Keg or any other Craft beers at £6.00 up to £9.00 a pint then they are fools to themselves.

I would also like to know how a beer can come in at 22% or even 10% these can not be proper beers the ABV is far too high for them to be a beer,i thought Barley Wines started at about 10% and normal beers ranged from 3.5 up to 5.00 %.

But then again i am no beer expert i have only been drinking since 1978 and these modern trendy types probably know more than i ever will about beer

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I would also like to know how a beer can come in at 22% or even 10% these can not be proper beers the ABV is far too high for them to be a beer,i thought Barley Wines started at about 10% and normal beers ranged from 3.5 up to 5.00 %.
    The 22% one is brewed with a special yeast and usually only appears at one of the two annual beer festivals. It is sold in third of a pint glasses and is more like a sweet sherry than a beer, although this years one was whisky barrel aged which made the sweetness a bit more palatable.

As for the 12% stout it was served on cask at the Easter William IV festival for £2.50 a pint. Did you never come across Courage Imperial Russian Stout? It's not too different from that bottled beer from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    But then again i am no beer expert i have only been drinking since 1978 and these modern trendy types probably know more than i ever will about beer
    How flattering to be thought of as a "modern trendy type"!! The reaction is usually "Oh no! Not that miserable old git again".

I first discovered Real Ale some time around 1973, before that I had only seen keg and all I knew was that Tartan and McEwans were absolutely disgusting. We discovered Young's initially soon followed by Brakspear, Ruddles, Fuller's and unbeknown at the time Jennings on a Lake District trip.

One of the first real ales I ever tried was the 7.5% Owd Roger in the Royal Standard of England at Forty Green!