Ads not shown when logged in
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: What is Craft Beer

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Not superior knowledge - just half an hour of research on Pubs Galore, that excellent pubs listing website!

The Town Wharf in Isleworth is still showing as open on What Pub, and still serving real ale, apparently. Also mentioned in a blog (2012).
    What pub is correct it is open but only keg OBB.

It's been a long day on the bevvy but here goes. I don't see what the problem is we are all free to drink whatever we want. I think we've never had it so good in terms of the variety generally available in pubs between keg, real ale, craft keg, smooth, cold, creamy, extra cold, special, best whatever VIVE LA DIFFERENCE(sorry for shouting) at times this thread gives me flashbacks of bikes and pink floyds 8th album. Drink in peace.
    Last edited by hondo; 20-03-2014 at 03:47.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

I'll stay on me own

I had a drink of London Fields Hackney Hopster yeaterday,i presume this is a craft beer because of the price and it being keg and very cold,what did bother me about this beer was the fact that it was very cloudy,i felt out of my comfort zone in this type of pub and thought better of taking it back incase it was meant to be like this.

I would have enjoyed the drink more it was a clear bright looking bitter even if it was very cold and expensive,should this beer be like that or did i have a duff drink.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I had a drink of London Fields Hackney Hopster yeaterday,i presume this is a craft beer because of the price and it being keg and very cold,what did bother me about this beer was the fact that it was very cloudy,i felt out of my comfort zone in this type of pub and thought better of taking it back incase it was meant to be like this.

I would have enjoyed the drink more it was a clear bright looking bitter even if it was very cold and expensive,should this beer be like that or did i have a duff drink.
    I had a pint of Hackney Hopster recently on cask in The Doric Arch and it was clear.Sounds like you got a particularly bad pint unless it was so cold that it was turning to slush
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I had a pint of Hackney Hopster recently on cask in The Doric Arch and it was clear.Sounds like you got a particularly bad pint unless it was so cold that it was turning to slush
    Ah a sub species of craft beer is "London Murky" it's meant to be cloudy apparently

a few comments on it here and here
    Last edited by oldboots; 02-05-2014 at 15:53.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Having not had a pint of HH, I will bow to BF's superior knowledge. However, it seems your confusion may be understandable, Al. Take a look at Curmudgeon's latest blog, in para 3 of 'Another Country' where he describes the rise of the phenomenon known as 'London Murky'.
    http://curmudgeoncolumns.blogspot.co.../may-2014.html
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ah a sub species of craft beer is "London Murky" it's meant to be cloudy apparently

a few comments on it here
    My half looked a lot worse than the one pictured probably because it was a lighter coloured beer, it was the keg version i had.

I can think of no reason why a beer like HH should even be distributed in keg form. It's a classic low ABV cooking beer from one of the better new London breweries. I've consumed it on many occasions in various Spoons throughout London at a price that could not be described as a rip-off. Some of the new breweries are in so much demand now that they only supply Spoons for "old time's sake".
    One of the problems with "craft" keg is that the extreme chilling does tend to make pale beers cloudy. I don't think you were necessarily served a "duff" drink but you probably were ripped off. If you were to find HH in perfect nick on cask I'm sure you would love it!

I was served a cloudy pint today in Twickenham and it cost four quid. As it was 8.5% ABV I didn't complain but it did result in me totally messing up my journey back to East London!

This Space For Hire

When hoppy beer is sold at too low a temperature you get whats called hop haze.Dont think it was duff just badly served.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Having not had a pint of HH, I will bow to BF's superior knowledge. However, it seems your confusion may be understandable, Al. Take a look at Curmudgeon's latest blog, in para 3 of 'Another Country' where he describes the rise of the phenomenon known as 'London Murky'.
    http://curmudgeoncolumns.blogspot.co.../may-2014.html
    As a drinker of (so called) London murky I know of only one London brewer who does not add finings to their beer.The problem is the pubs are not letting the beer settle or sometimes hop haze.In traditional pubs the customers dictates how the beer should look and the landlord tries to get the beer in condition his locals prefer.In London the new pubs decide how its served and the customer can take it or leave it.I think a lot of pubs are getting too used to serving beer from the bigger brewers that clears in about a few hours but has been filtered .The smaller brewers cant do this so you need to rest the beer a bit longer.Tastes the same but nothing can beat a sparkling pint of beer.