Ads not shown when logged in
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: What is Craft Beer

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I bow to your superior knowledge and am surprised so many still serve cask.You can delete the Town Wharf as its been closed for a few years and was not selling cask before it closed.
    I wasn't going to say this but now you have raised it I don't think that reviews from more than two years ago prove anything about the current real ale situation.
    The only Sam Smith's pub I want to revisit is the Princess Louise. I remember when Watney's gave it up and it became a free house as I was working nearby at the time. If this place, the Cittie of York or Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese got rid of cask then it would be a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I wasn't going to say this but now you have raised it I don't think that reviews from more than two years ago prove anything about the current real ale situation.
    The only Sam Smith's pub I want to revisit is the Princess Louise. I remember when Watney's gave it up and it became a free house as I was working nearby at the time. If this place, the Cittie of York or Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese got rid of cask then it would be a travesty.
    Eight of the 14 pubs which Al 10000 had visited when they served real ale (admittedly quite a long time ago) were reviewed in the last two years on Pubs Galore, and only one of them had gone from hand pump to keg. If pubs haven't been reviewed recently, there's a simple solution: put your head around the door! I don't think it's very helpful to state "that list is badly out of date as I personally think there are only a few cask outlets in London now" when in fact the evidence of the site of which we are all proud members is that this is not the case.

I agree that it would be a shame if the Princess Louise, Cittie of York or Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese got rid of cask, but I don't think it's been suggested anywhere that this is a likely scenario. This diversion of the original thread started with you, Moby and John slagging off Sam Smiths, which me and Al 10000 think is unwarranted. Now you're having a go at them over something that's not even happened yet!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Eight of the 14 pubs which Al 10000 had visited when they served real ale (admittedly quite a long time ago) were reviewed in the last two years on Pubs Galore, and only one of them had gone from hand pump to keg. If pubs haven't been reviewed recently, there's a simple solution: put your head around the door! I don't think it's very helpful to state "that list is badly out of date as I personally think there are only a few cask outlets in London now" when in fact the evidence of the site of which we are all proud members is that this is not the case.

I agree that it would be a shame if the Princess Louise, Cittie of York or Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese got rid of cask, but I don't think it's been suggested anywhere that this is a likely scenario. This diversion of the original thread started with you, Moby and John slagging off Sam Smiths, which me and Al 10000 think is unwarranted. Now you're having a go at them over something that's not even happened yet!
    Not sure who I am supposed to be having a go at,, apart from the fact I called Sam Smiths crap, which in my opinion it is, only ever tried it in London, maybe theres a difference? Or maybe not, I just happen not to care for it.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    You are probably right on that as I am not sure how the part-gyling actually works.cheers john
    it's a concept that's a bit hard to understand but Ron Pattinson makes a good stab at explaining it here, slightly technical and the quotes are very technical but you can probably get the gist of how it works. There is some dilution with "liquor" (water) or extra boiling to concentrate the sugars involved according to Mr Hind who Pattinson quotes.

The examples and a comment from John Keeling Head Brewer at Fullers is here
    Last edited by oldboots; 17-03-2014 at 08:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I called Sam Smiths crap, which in my opinion it is, only ever tried it in London, maybe theres a difference? Or maybe not, I just happen not to care for it.
    A friend of mine has maintained for years that it curdles as soon as it crosses the Yorkshire border. I haven't tried it outside Yorkshire for many years but maybe he's on to something.

This diversion of the original thread started with you, Moby and John slagging off Sam Smiths, which me and Al 10000 think is unwarranted. Now you're having a go at them over something that's not even happened yet!
    I wasn't aware that I was "having a go" at anyone here, nor did I actually slag off OBB, just stated that it would never be classed as a "craft beer". If I do get to the Princess Louise I will have a pint of it but would be surprised if I were to find it more enjoyable than the Brodie's beer in the nearby Crosse Keys. If it was just keg I would walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    A friend of mine has maintained for years that it curdles as soon as it crosses the Yorkshire border. I haven't tried it outside Yorkshire for many years but maybe he's on to something.
    It can often be cold vinegar inside Yorkshire but when properly looked after it's not a bad beer, maybe it's crossing the West Riding border it doesn't like

This Space For Hire

I did say personally so its my opinion but I did say I if I am wrong I apologise. I would be happy to review those pubs but it would mean drinking Sam Smiths beers.Sam Smiths bottled beers are superb but as they have decided to charge £5.50 a bottle in London they no longer appeal.

According to Boak and Bailey we're now in a post-craft age. Heigh ho, another bandwagon I've missed.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    According to Boak and Bailey we're now in a post-craft age. Heigh ho, another bandwagon I've missed.
    Post craft? Oh, gawd 'elp us!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.