Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pub snatched from Tesco's hands

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Thumbs up A pub snatched from Tesco's hands

ONE of Hayling Island’s few remaining pubs has been saved from closure.

Details http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/bus...hour-1-4138797

Hayling Billy

Saved by the Co-op, I suspect to stop Tesco opening nearby their Hayling store
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    ONE of Hayling Island’s few remaining pubs has been saved from closure.

Details http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/bus...hour-1-4138797

Hayling Billy

Saved by the Co-op, I suspect to stop Tesco opening nearby their Hayling store
    Anything, or anyone, that gives Tesco a poke in the eye is OK in my book. It was bad enough when they were gutting, or demolishing, closed pubs. However, the practice of approaching pubcos regarding pubs that are still open (and often viable) really sticks in my craw. Have you come across this site FW?

http://www.tescopoly.org/

If you look in the local campaigns section, there's quite a bit of activity in Hampshire.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Thanks AH, not seen the site, just had a trawl through, seems odd that a company that is popular with thousands of shoppers every week can, or wants to, generate such upset by their actions in places, maybe size does matter?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Thanks AH, not seen the site, just had a trawl through, seems odd that a company that is popular with thousands of shoppers every week can, or wants to, generate such upset by their actions in places, maybe size does matter?
    As long as people continue to spend money with them and they continue to make a profit Tesco aren't going to give a toss what people think of them. People like me who refuse to use them are just a mild irritant. It takes a lot to turn a brand toxic. Ratner's and Sunny Delight and the Sun in Liverpool spring to mind as examples. The banks are having a good go at it but there's no sign of a catastrophic decline in the consumer account base of any of them. People still queue up to fly on Ryanair despite everything. These firms are driven by corporate greed, not the greater good, and as long as they can get away with it, they will.

Lets hope all the locals boycott Tescos when ever possible & support the Pub and do there shop in the co op to show there support.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Co-op not on MY good supermarket list as they are after closing the Navigation in Kings Norton which is a community pub with real ale. They have a big supermarket just down the road at Stirchley, but are having a second go at getting planning permission to demolish the Navigation at the moment.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    The Co-op not on MY good supermarket list as they are after closing the Navigation in Kings Norton which is a community pub with real ale. They have a big supermarket just down the road at Stirchley, but are having a second go at getting planning permission to demolish the Navigation at the moment.
    At least the Co-op is run in a vaguely democratic fashion, and is accountable to its members. If enough people in the area joined the society and started grumbling to the regional committee they might take notice.

Not too sure about the inner workings of the Co op,but the Southern Co op, which has bought the pub in Hayling Island, has a good reputation for encouraging and stocking local food and drink, and supporting producers.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Not too sure about the inner workings of the Co op,but the Southern Co op, which has bought the pub in Hayling Island, has a good reputation for encouraging and stocking local food and drink, and supporting producers.
    True, it is the only shop around where you can get tins of HSB, which I know is no longer local, but for many it still has historic connections

I should declare an interest, I am member of Southern Co-op

We have had a long running battle with Tescos who have bought up an entire street in Dartford in preparations to build a Tesco Super Village that would have been totally out of place in our town centre. They even planned to build over part of our precious Park and build a road through it. They didn't count on people power and the townsfolk have been vociferously objecting for about 7 years over everything they have tried to do. In the meantime dozens of small local business were forced out of their premises and the shops, houses and, yes, a pub, remain closed and boarded up making part of the town centre an eyesore.

Ironically, the Co-Op was actually founded in Dartford - the original Co-Op store is now part of a bar/club called Crush (that I do not set foot in!). Our large Co-Op closed not long after Tesco's revealed their plans in for town domination! It remains boarded up with no future plans as far as I'm aware. Tesco have a lot to answer for in these parts!