Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gibraltar Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    None of this will interest you lot of course, what you'll want to hear about are the pubs and the beer. Well from my previous experience there are plenty of pubs on the Rock, sadly no cask beer but I'll hunt around for something interesting. They also have the most southerly pub in Europe which will be worth seeking out. The Trafalgar, the Clipper and the Venture Inn were the best sports pubs from what I can recall ...cheers:
    Oh dear, I feel myself mounting my soapbox again...but what a pity we don't have a means of including these pubs (for that is what they are, rather than continental bars) in the main site. Millay, have you thought about opening a review thread for them?

Spritzer Swallower

Ah the joys of international travel! I'm with Grailhunter - if you'd traveled as the rest of us poor impoverished individuals have to i.e. Ryanair then you'd still have your luggage - that being said if Ryanair advertised that they flew to Gib then they probably mean Murcia.

I'll keep my eyes open for the luggage however as you know I have standards and therefore should I find that the case isn't too my liking then I'll choose to ignore it.

Gasman - you do realise that I'm now struggling to get rid of the image of Millay in his speedos.

Quote Originally Posted by the gasman View Post
    Very sorry to learn about your missing suitcase Millay. At least you have spared all the good people of Gib the sight of you in your speedos. I hope your belongings arrive very soon.
    http://budgysmuggler.com.au/
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Internet connection is about as reliable as BA baggage handlers this morning so i will report later
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Found myself some free WiFi, at O'Reilly's Irish Pub , there's one everywhere.

Started last night know the Three Owls on Irish Town with particularly poor pint of Fosters then on to The Clipper for some food. Next to The Lord Nelson and the Venture Inn for an ice cold Caffreys. The evening was saved by Gib's oldest pub the Star Bar where I found a generous fruit machine, friendly talkative locals and a bottled beer called Gibraltar Barbary Beer. Apparently it's brewed using hops grown at Almeda Gardens in Gib which are shipped to Bushy's Brewery on the Isle of Man.

Breakfast on the roof terrace this morning with fantastic views of the Rock and the bay. Been for a walk around the marina area and am now taking refuge from the midday sun, Mad Dogs, Englishmen and Gibraltarians go out in the Midday Sun it seems.

No sign of my bag yet but I'm hoping it brings back some lederhosen as Lons and Gasman can't cope with the idea of speedos ;-)
    Last edited by Millay; 15-08-2012 at 17:20. Reason: Corrected the name of the beer
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Thanks Grailhunter, Easyjet don't fly here and there's no Travelodge either !
    I stand corrected, saw an Easyjet flight take off this morning, presumably going to Liverpool as all of Gib's bar staff appear to be Scousers .

The daily BA flight from Heathrow should have arrived by now. It would be a victory for hope over realism to imagine that my bag is on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Oh dear, I feel myself mounting my soapbox again...but what a pity we don't have a means of including these pubs (for that is what they are, rather than continental bars) in the main site. Millay, have you thought about opening a review thread for them?
    I'll do that ETA, it might be useful to anyone visiting.

Made a new purchase today a notebook (a paper one) so along with the pen I nicked from the Holiday Inn I can make notes about the pubs and all the other things that have been going through this unquiet mind.
    Last edited by Millay; 09-08-2012 at 11:26.

Real Ale Drinker

Fosters and Caffreys ! Mate this does not sound good.
    Are you sure you'd rather not be back here enjoying all the fun of the Olympics ??

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhunter View Post
    Fosters and Caffreys ! Mate this does not sound good.
    Are you sure you'd rather not be back here enjoying all the fun of the Olympics ??
    I'll be hunting out that Barbary Ale again tonight. The Landlord of the Star told me some pubs have it but they don't seem to publicise it. He didn't have it on show but I saw a flyer picked one up and said "have you got one of these". Yes he said pointing to more flyers in a display !! It may have been his Scouse sense of humour but he seemed serious and a bit surprised that someone actually wanted the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Which ones Millay?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields