Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gibraltar Blog

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default The Gibraltar Blog

As is traditional, I thought I should start a blog for my Gibraltar trip which starts tomorrow. I actually have an overnight stay at a Heathrow hotel today (helpfully paid for with loyalty points) so that I don't have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning. I'm not sure what the quality of updates might be, I'm taking the trusty netbook but it's about 84 years old now, creaks and groans like an old washer woman on laundry day and suffers from occasional blue screen syndrome.

I don't really have a plan for the week, I'll hit the tourist information place vwhen I arrive and see what trips are going. I want to get out and do a bit of dolphin spotting and maybe do a day trip to Tangiers. I definitely want to get to Spain as well, even if it's just stepping over the border. I've visited around 15 different countries but amazingly never been to Spain.

None of this will interest you lot of course, what you'll want to hear about are the pubs and the beer. Well from my previous experience there are plenty of pubs on the Rock, sadly no cask beer but I'll hunt around for something interesting. They also have the most southerly pub in Europe which will be worth seeking out. The Trafalgar, the Clipper and the Venture Inn were the best sports pubs from what I can recall from 10 years ago and I'll be keeping up to date with the Olympics, as I suspect will be the proud Gibraltarians.

Cheers
    Clive
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Real Ale Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    None of this will interest you lot of course, what you'll want to hear about are the pubs and the beer.
    Indeed, but we will be interested in your travels as well sir. Not sure what beer you might encounter in Morocco but suspect it will be 'interesting' if nothing else. Hope you have a good flight and the landing in the High Street is not too scary !

I will try to accommodate all of my audiences. I think I will close my eyes on landing as you can't see anything but water either side. I heard they had built a tunnel so that the traffic doesn't need to cross the runway, that's taken some of the fun away.

BTW Grailhunter, if you are still doing the London perambulation on the 17th could you text me the starting point as that will be my first day back. Hopefully I will make it.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Just a quick update as the WiFi is an extortionate £10 for 4 hours in this hotel so I'm using the phone. Having watched more cycling golds I'm wishing I was going today as British Airways are giving free Avios to anyone flying on days when GB win medals. Let's hope for some tomorrow . No representation in either the Women's 100m hurdles or the Men's 1500m tonight and only an outside chance in the Discus. Must get some decent sleep tonight as I need to be getting to the airport for around 6am tomorrow. Step away from the Minibar !!
    Last edited by Millay; 07-08-2012 at 20:17.

Loving the BA Galleries Lounge at Heathrow, this was worth getting up early for. A haven of calm plus free breakfast and free booze. A little early perhaps even for me but maybe just a little Champers

The WiFi password in the lounge is lasvegas, it must be a sign, maybe that should be the next trip.
    Last edited by Millay; 08-08-2012 at 07:02. Reason: Addition

Spritzer Swallower

First Class Rail travel, BA Lounge, Champagne breakfast - my god what have you become!

Flying off to Spain tomorrow evening - whilst it's unlikely that we'll be in the same city at the same time, assuming you do get to step foot (shouldn't this be feet) on the mainland, give me a call and let's see if we can get together - that being said it may cramp your style given I'll have the 3 amigo's with me.

Needless to say enjoy yourself and keep the blog going - not that I'll be able to read it given i'll be in the middle of nowhere.

Lons, could you look out for my suitcase in Spain, because it's not bloody here in Gib where it should be. BA think it's probably in Vienna. Having stupidly put everything in my case my sole possessions are a comb, a pen i picked from the Holiday Inn, a book by Michael Palin, thankfully my medication and thankfully a wallet full of plastic. M&S here I come, good job this is Gib and not Kazakhstan.

Frankly I expect more from BA Club class !!!!

I have no charger for this phone so the next post may not be for a while.

Real Ale Drinker

Will text you about the 17th nearer the time. Is definitely going ahead.
    Last time I flew BA they lost my luggage. It did turn up within 24 hours though.
    Now if you'd gone Easyjet cattle class this wouldn't have happened you know. Sorry that isn't very helpful is it.
    Seriously I hope your stuff turns up PDQ. Don't let it spoil your holiday.

Teetotal

Very sorry to learn about your missing suitcase Millay. At least you have spared all the good people of Gib the sight of you in your speedos. I hope your belongings arrive very soon.

Thanks Grailhunter, Easyjet don't fly here and there's no Travelodge either !

Cheers Gasman good of you to join up and take the p1$$ . Have got some essentials at M&S plus shaving gear and toothpaste. Even found a charger for this phone so I'm back in business. These WiFi costs are dam expensive though.