Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is that pub all that?

Default Is that pub all that?

Some pubs have big reputations,the question is are they justified?Liking a pub or not is obviously down to personal preference but could be affected by circumstances on the day e.g unlucky to catch the end of a barrel or a rowdy stag party happens to have taken over the bar on your visit spoiling the atmosphere.A few examples from my experience are-
    The Harp,Charring cross , great pub great reputation and totally justified in my view,
    Ye Olde Mitre ,Holborn ,Big rep yet Iv'e visited on several occasions and never been satisfied with the outcome,either average beer, or great difficulty in being served e.c.t.Although agreed a good looking pub.
    The Wenlock Arms always divided opinion some thought it a tip others mecca,I veer towards the latter,
    The Evening Star ,Brighton,great beer good pub yet I prefer The Great Eastern down the road as a pub altough it doesn't come close in the beer stakes.My examples are southern based, but what are your experiences in your neck of the woods? Could be controversial.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

The Bree Louise would be my nomination for the most over-rated pub, I can't think of better example of dross that's been talked up so much.

Usually I've found the high reputations are deserved, I'm thinking about pubs like the Brunswick in Derby or the Marble Arch in Manchester and so on.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Wellington in Birmingham has a great reputation and is one of the pubs to visit while in Birmingham.

The Anchor in Digbeth is another must visit pub with a good reputation, but where I rate the Anchor best for new brewery beer choices I rate the Wellington better for keeping the beer condition right.

The newer kid on the block, the Post Office Vaults in New Street has fewer beers, but kept in good condition and a must for anyone into foreign beers.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    The Wellington in Birmingham has a great reputation and is one of the pubs to visit while in Birmingham.

The Anchor in Digbeth is another must visit pub with a good reputation, but where I rate the Anchor best for new brewery beer choices I rate the Wellington better for keeping the beer condition right.

The newer kid on the block, the Post Office Vaults in New Street has fewer beers, but kept in good condition and a must for anyone into foreign beers.
    It all comes down to personal taste and the time of visit (if a one time visit is the basis of a review, of which mine usually are). I am a Midlander that likes a head on his beer, which i seldom get at the Welly or Vaults and the quality of the Hobson's MILD varies enormously at the Anchor. Why the Lamp in Digbeth is rated, i will never know. Quite why Ember Inns and Spoons places make the GBG is beyond me too, as their pubs are so erratic.

I am just about to review the Swan With Two Nicks in Worcester - Quinno likes it, OB doesn't - it was great at my visit, but then i am miserable and liked the fact nobody was in - i think i would hate it later in the day. Unless we are talking about Ingoldmells, i tend just to write a somewhat benign account and say what i see.
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Quite why Ember Inns and Spoons places make the GBG is beyond me too, as their pubs are so erratic.
    I have to agree with the above,I guess they are there simply on the amount of different beers they provide,a good idea but if their is a problem with consistent quality, which has been my general experience, then the idea is not so good.Which leads me to the same conclusion as oldboots regarding the Bree Louise.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 21-06-2012 at 09:18.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Beer Micropub in Newark has had a lot of positive publicity but I found it to be hugely overrated and couldn't find anything I wanted to drink there.
    And for the controversial pick, I was a little disappointed by the Brunswick in Derby which, whilst a lovely pub with a wide range of ales, seems to choose guest beers which don't overshadow its own, fairly dull in my experience, range. By contrast the Smithfield in Derby had one of the best ale selections I've ever seen, a great shame it's closed - what do I know?
    Last edited by Thuck Phat; 21-06-2012 at 09:24.

I'll stay on me own

The Beacon Hotel in Sedgley is meant to be one of those great pubs,well i dont think so the pub was rammed at 2.45 on a Saturday dinner so they decided to call time and chuck everybody out,pubs like this dont deserve any custom in my opinion.

The Brunswick in Derby is one of those well known pubs and i have been in this pub 100s of times,i find the pub ok during the day but in the evening it gets a crowd who hog the bar and wont move out of the way unless you are in their click this really *isses me off.

I tend to prefer bog standard pubs that dont get crowded out with people looking for a great pub with loads of different beers on.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    The Beacon Hotel in Sedgley is meant to be one of those great pubs,well i dont think so the pub was rammed at 2.45 on a Saturday dinner so they decided to call time and chuck everybody out.
    Good job you weren't there on Mon-Thu when it closes at 2.30pm. This is one of those pubs which maintains the old fashioned tradition of closing in the afternoon,times advertised in the Good Beer Guide and on their website.

The Euston Tap may be marvelous for the beer tickers among us, but as a pub it is uncomfortable and often cramped. It isn't a place that I would want to spend more than an hour in.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    The Euston Tap may be marvelous for the beer tickers among us, but as a pub it is uncomfortable and often cramped. It isn't a place that I would want to spend more than an hour in.
    I have given up on the Euston Tap, its just too much effort, a victim of its own success. And thats why i am currently sitting the Doric Arch ;-)
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.