Visit the The Good Stuff site

This month’s session is being hosted over at DrinkDrank, and ask : What’s your perfect beer?
I guess it’s all about personal tastes; as I kicked this one around in my head, I cam up with all sorts – a beer to go with my favourite food, one for perfect occasions, anniversaries or even holidays. But it doesn’t boil down to that – it’s purely about taste.
Which led me to really ponder what ‘my taste’ is. As someone who spends a lot of time writing about, and drinking beer, you like to think you’re a jack of all trades, someone who is having just as much fun drinking Weizen as quaffing pints of Stout. But a quick look at my photo folder reveals otherwise.
You see, it turns out I’m a Pale Ale kind of guy. Why? Well, I guess I do have a massive predilection towards ‘Session beer’ – and I mean that in the purest, most exciting sense. When drinking socially, I only turn to heavier, stronger beers at the end of the night, taking the place of the nightcap with a third of Imperial Stout or something of that ilk. For me, drinking socially is about – and yes, I dare say it – volume and refreshment. Chuck in a healthy dose of what a lot of my socializing revolves around – Football – and you get the picture. Anything heavy and dark is usually sipped at home, giving way to introspection and reflection.
There’s too many fantastic ‘Session’ beers that fit my bill out there, though! From Rooster’s Yankee to Magic Rock’s Curious, from Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to Redwillow’s Headless. Camden Pale, Marble Pint, Oakham’s Citra, Fyne Jarl, Saltaire Cascade, Acorn’s Barnsley Bitter, Cheddar Ale’s Potholer, Kelham’s Pale Rider….the list is endless.
For these purposes, the two that most fit my tastes are Sharp’s Monsieur Rock and Buxton’s Moor Top. So I guess my beer would be like that; Pale Malt (From a Yorkshire Maltings, obviously) with a touch of Wheat thrown in; a combination of my favourite hops ; Cascade, Saaz and Bramling Cross, and a soft finish to make you want another one straight away. There you go. If someone will brew it me it, I’d be massively grateful!
And the name? Christ, that’s hard. I guess something simple; Session Pale. Inspired by, and to be drunk in.

More...