Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Last Orders' Radio 4. Friday 19th Feb 11.00

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default 'Last Orders' Radio 4. Friday 19th Feb 11.00

Just saw this promoted in the new Radio Times. It's a two part programme about licensees who've taken on pubs since the recession started. The programme talks to such individuals as a retired Cambridge academic, an ex-miner from Barnsley and a one-time bunny girl. Sounds fascinating.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hmmm, I will try and remember to give this thread a bump next Friday.

Real Ale Drinker

Shall have my radio tuned for that.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

While I remember a quick bump for this thread to try and remind anyone interested.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Have to admit it didn't really grab me.

If anyone has half an hour to spare, Listen Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A celebration of the pub landlord and landlady.
    With pubs disappearing at the rate of more than three a day, signalling one of the most rapid cultural shifts of recent times, half a dozen landlords and landladies reflect on life as a licensee and explore what we're in danger of losing besides the beer and the buildings.
    This rueful view from behind the bar includes reflections on the qualities of a good landlord or landlady, their role as community confessional and settler of tap room fights, dispenser of best bitter and pearls of wisdom.
    The programme hears from from old hands like Barbara, an ex-Bunny girl who runs The Grapes in London's Limehouse; Tetley Dave who fought a battle to keep The Shoulder of Mutton from closing in Castleford; Maureen from Langsett who's famous for her pies; ex miner Dennis from Barnsley, whose bte noir is health and safety; and former Cambridge academic Tim, who's taken early retirement to open his first pub in York, The Pheonix, just as others around are shutting up shop.
    How have they kept their marriages together, living and working on the premises? How much of a temptation was it to hit the top shelf after a hard day's graft behind the bar? Why do they think the pub can help teach the next generation how to hold their drink? And how do they bar an objectionable customer without starting a Wild West-style bar room brawl?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Have to admit it didn't really grab me.
    Unfortunately, missed it this morning. just tried to listen to it on iPlayer but I keep being told to install Adobe Flash Player. I try to install it then my PC freezes.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Unfortunately, missed it this morning. just tried to listen to it on iPlayer but I keep being told to install Adobe Flash Player. I try to install it then my PC freezes.
    How irritating, also a little odd, you should have Flash installed as you are uploading images. I guess the beeb needs a newer version.

I thought it was a little dated in style and didn't tackle the major issues of today, maybe part two next week will take that on. Tetley Dave had a profile by Roger Protz not so long ago on his Beer-Pages.com and reprinted in the Morning Advertiser I believe. I did like the story of the old boy bringing in his dinner and going for the landlord with a walking stick and can you believe an ex Bunny Girl as landlady?

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    and can you believe an ex Bunny Girl as landlady?
    I've been in The Grapes at Limehouse a coupla times, good little pub, especially for that area; never got served by a bunny girl though. In fact never seen a girl working there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Tetley Dave had a profile by Roger Protz not so long ago on his Beer-Pages.com and reprinted in the Morning Advertiser I believe.
    Still haven't caught it yet, but it's been made more interesting for me by the inclusion of Tetley Dave. He's very well known on our local real ale scene. I knew Roger Protz was coming up to the Shoulder on the 29th Jan and I planned to go across and meet him. However, my daughter's college interview put paid to that! Don't know how much was made of his battle with Enterprise Inns but Chris Heath's review of The Shoulder gives a flavour of the man: www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/40299/