Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Millay's Great Escape

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    The London Midland timetable I'm looking at has trains from Moor St stopping at Snow Hill then Stourbridge and onwards to Kiddy.

I've also got some stupid idea in my head about getting the Severn Valley Railway from Kiddy to Bewdley and trying to find the JDW there, the George (?). Timetable not looking very convenient though and I'd have to pay extra. Looks like they have a special Classic car Day on with tickets at £13 so will probably forget that idea.
    Really? Moor St is south of Brum wile Snow Hill is north of Brum. I rarely uses Moor st and never Snow Hill. But Snow Hill is actually very good thing cos it is much closer than Moor St. As you exit Wellington's main entrance, go right up the hill then when you come to Colmore Row then turn right and Snow Hill is on left hand side at the other side of the road.

I just realised you can actually catch train from Snow Hill to Moor St as Snow Hill is the FIRST port of call then Moor St then Stourbridge then Kiddy. I got it now, sorry Millay!

Bewdley do have JDW there and it is called The George Hotel and Bewdley have incredibly high number of pubs in small town. Whats wrong with bus? It is only around 5 miles from Kiddy to Bewdley
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Bewdley do have JDW there and it is called The George Hotel and Bewdley have incredibly high number of pubs in small town. Whats wrong with bus? It is only around 5 miles from Kiddy to Bewdley
    I could try but I'm on a tight schedule, already spending too much time travelling and not enough time in the pubs

Speaking of tight schedules, must get back to work now

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

I've been to the Swan with Two Nicks before, and may try it again, not sure the weather will be good enough for a roof top beer though!!. I've also been to the racecourse and recall it being reasonably close to the train station so might check out the Wheatsheafif I have time.
    The Wheatsheaf is acctually on the other side of the river so a bit of a trek
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Evening all! To answer your questions in one hit:

hopwas:
    You been to Lichfield? I wonder which pubs you gone to?

Hopefully Duke of York is one of them. Smashing little real ale pub.
    'twas indeed the Duke of York - excellent place; recommended, especially if you're en-route between City and Trent Valley stations.

I can confirm that trains between Brum & Worcester are fast ones (40 mins) from New Street and slow (and pretty crap) ones from Moor St, then Snow Hill via Kidderminster (I have recent experience of both!). Note that there's 2 stations in Worcester, so check the timetable carefully - Shrub Hill was a little tricky to find, I thought.

hopwas:
    Yep Postal Order. I visited there in around 2004 and it is right next to Foregate station if I remember correctly
    . Pretty much correct - a few yards north of Foregate St - I passed it on my way to the Dragon! After that (first of the day), I dashed down to the Cathedral for a few photos, then took in the Swan with 2 Nicks.

Enjoy your day out, Millay - hope the weather's ok for you!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Check the weather before heading to Worcester , they have had terrible problems today with snow with more forcast for Saturday
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Check the weather before heading to Worcester , they have had terrible problems today with snow with more forcast for Saturday
    Yes, I've heard reports of snow in Birmingham this morning, I'll need to keep an eye on the weather, maybe I should take a shovel.

The strategy that I have employed to prepare myself for this endeavour is to have a shed load of beer on Thursday so that I won’t even want to go near a beer on Friday and I’ll be fresh for the Saturday. So yesterday included,

Four Fortyniners
    Three Pale Riders
    Two London Prides
    And a Partridge with a Biryani (well actually it was a Kingfisher).

So the first part of the plan was executed perfectly

We had a fair bit of snow yesterday and the cold tempratures during the night made for icy roads. I should imagine Worcester City centre is ok but take care and don't go rushing about. Probably better to trim your itinery a bit. Enjoy your day out in Worcester, the chaps have given you more than enough pubs to be going with , certainly more than I could manage.

Real Ale Drinker

[QUOTE=Millay;7769]The strategy that I have employed to prepare myself for this endeavour is to have a shed load of beer on Thursday so that I won’t even want to go near a beer on Friday

Hang on a minute. I seem to remember you saying you were going to the Luton beer festival today.
    I hope you're not going to be tempted !

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

The strategy that I have employed to prepare myself for this endeavour is to have a shed load of beer... and I’ll be fresh for the Saturday
    Classic!

I fully understand the tactic, but sceptics less committed to the cause may argue that abstinence on Thurs AND Fri would produce an even fresher start on Sat!