Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Millay's Great Escape

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default Millay's Great Escape

The weather looks to be OK this weekend so I’ve got myself one of those ‘go anywhere for £10’ Great Escape tickets from London Midland and aim to be heading off early Saturday morning from Watford. Exactly how early remains to be seen as I have Friday off work and I may pay a visit to the Luton Beer Festival.

The rough plan is to head north to Birmingham, maybe have a pint or two in the Wellington, unless I get there before they open, and then get a train to Worcester. There it will be the Dragon Inn and the Plough plus maybe a look in at the Cardinals Hat and the JDW before getting a train back to Brum. I’m thinking of a stop off on the way in Kidderminster for the King & Castle. However this would mean getting the line that takes me in to Snow Hill or Moor Street and this is where I need some advice from someone who knows the city. Working on the basis that I need to get from one of these stations to New St and have a couple of beers on the way which one should it be. I reckon Snow Hill is best so I can take in the Joint Stock, the Wellington and the Briar Rose on the way but am open to suggestions.

From Brum it will be a train to Northampton and a couple at the Malt Shovel before making my way back to Watford with possibly a stop or two on the way.

Sunday I will probably be recovering and trying to remember where I got to so that I can tell you good folks all about it - and try to work out that if the Pub Crawl tool works for long distance crawls

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Sounds like you're a week behind me, Millay! I did Worcester, Brum & Lichfield. All a bit whistle-stop, but glad I went. It sounds like you can put away more ale than I can manage, though.

Hope your trains are as good as mine were - just 1 5-minute delay all day.

Moor St is pretty close to New St so, if you're pushed for time, you're probably better off there. I don't think I know Birmingham any better than you, however. The PG maps show you all you need to know.

Thanks PoH, I really want to get to Worcester as I’ve not been there for years and want to check out The Plough again. As for the number of pubs, well it’s all aspirational really, I think what I should do is pick a few of the quality pubs around and enjoy those rather than a mad dash around as many as I can make.

I may miss out Northampton as there’s only one decent pub I know near the station. I’ll definitely not be doing Bedford this time, that was too much time spent on the train. I’ll be checking out timetables over the next couple of days to try to make the train time/pub time ratio more in favour of the latter.

Cheers

Hi Millay..

As Brummie born, there is rather frequent train that goes to Kidderminster from Moor Street and runs roughly every 10 - 15 mins. There is no train that goes to Kiddy at Snow Hill because it only goes to North, North East and East areas. From Welly to Moor St would take you around 10 mins walk via New Street.

Speaking of Worcester, you mentioned JDW but which JDW you are speaking of? There are two JDWs in City.

Good luck and hope you have a smashing time in lovely Brum.

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    Sounds like you're a week behind me, Millay! I did Worcester, Brum & Lichfield.
    You been to Lichfield? I wonder which pubs you gone to?

Hopefully Duke of York is one of them. Smashing little real ale pub.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

If your in Worcester the Swan with two Nicks http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42516/ is worth a look and its not that far from the Plough , its worth a visit for the 70s style upstairs bar , its also got a roof top beer garden . The Wheatsheaf on Henwick Road is good with great views over the Racecourse but is probally a bit far out for a flying visit
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Hi Millay..

As Brummie born, there is rather frequent train that goes to Kidderminster from Moor Street and runs roughly every 10 - 15 mins. There is no train that goes to Kiddy at Snow Hill because it only goes to North, North East and East areas. From Welly to Moor St would take you around 10 mins walk via New Street.

Speaking of Worcester, you mentioned JDW but which JDW you are speaking of? There are two JDWs in City.

Good luck and hope you have a smashing time in lovely Brum.

Hoppy
    Thanks for the info Hoppy. I only know one JDW in Worcester, the Standing Order or Postal Order near Foregate St Station. Where's the other one?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    If your in Worcester the Swan with two Nicks http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/42516/ is worth a look and its not that far from the Plough , its worth a visit for the 70s style upstairs bar , its also got a roof top beer garden . The Wheatsheaf on Henwick Road is good with great views over the Racecourse but is probally a bit far out for a flying visit
    I've been to the Swan with Two Nicks before, and may try it again, not sure the weather will be good enough for a roof top beer though!!. I've also been to the racecourse and recall it being reasonably close to the train station so might check out the Wheatsheafif I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Hi Millay..

As Brummie born, there is rather frequent train that goes to Kidderminster from Moor Street and runs roughly every 10 - 15 mins. There is no train that goes to Kiddy at Snow Hill because it only goes to North, North East and East areas.
    The London Midland timetable I'm looking at has trains from Moor St stopping at Snow Hill then Stourbridge and onwards to Kiddy.

I've also got some stupid idea in my head about getting the Severn Valley Railway from Kiddy to Bewdley and trying to find the JDW there, the George (?). Timetable not looking very convenient though and I'd have to pay extra. Looks like they have a special Classic car Day on with tickets at £13 so will probably forget that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Thanks for the info Hoppy. I only know one JDW in Worcester, the Standing Order or Postal Order near Foregate St Station. Where's the other one?
    Yep Postal Order. I visited there in around 2004 and it is right next to Foregate station if I remember correctly. Other one is The Crown, Crown Passage. I never been there but I know where it is and it is next to one of main entrance to shopping mall in the City Centre. Check this out.. http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/...rown-worcester

Actually I am planning to visit Worcester sometime this spring to tick off The Crown plus few pubs.

Let me know how your pub crawl goes.

Hoppy