Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Millay's Great Escape

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

19:29 arrived back in Watford and another decision to make, have I had enough beer? I think not!! Watford isn’t great for real ale but the Southern Cross is one place where you will find some interesting beers and I went for the Roosters Après Ski , a golden beer at a manageable 4.3%. I then spotted the 2009 Supreme Champion Rudgate Ruby Mild so had to have one of those before I left. My scrawled notes infer that I also stopped off on the way home at the Nascot Arms for an Old Hookey and then again at Champions for a Hobgoblin .

22:10 I arrive home poorer of pocket but richer of experience and with a Chinese takeaway of which, as is traditional, half was found uneaten in the kitchen this morning.

OK, now for the stats for those interested in that sort of thing.

Total door to door crawling time - 16 hours 10 minutes

Number of train journeys - Six

Total time on trains - 5 hours 21 minutes

Number of pubs - Eleven

Total time spent in pubs - 6 hours 50 minutes

Number of beers - 14 pints and two halves

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    . Quite liked the pub, think it’s had a bit of a refurb recently, plenty of plasma TV’s on mute, as is the JDW way, free newspapers and comfortable furnishings. I think it may be an old bank building as there is a large F Whitfield & Sons safe on the way down to the toilets.
    Briar Rose hasnt had major refurb since its opening in 2000. Free newspapers?! Thats new to me actually, unless you pinched it off shelves by the end of bar which you have to pay for it.

Oh yeah that safe by toliets.. Before Briar Rose came along, it was major bank (I think it was Lloyds) used occupy the site.

I see Welly still have that white cat roaming around in pub, Very rarely to see see cat roam cos I almost always see cat sleeping on stool or on bar. Bizarre thing is if Cat decide to sleep on stool then drinkers won't even dare to wake the cat up so they can seat on stool. Almost like sarced animal.

Anyway I am glad you enjoyed your time in Brum!

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Free newspapers?! Thats new to me actually, unless you pinched it off shelves by the end of bar which you have to pay for it.
    Oh dear, yes those were the ones, I didn't realise you had to pay for them . Still, I did at least put it back when I'd finished with it, along with all the inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    Oh dear, yes those were the ones, I didn't realise you had to pay for them . Still, I did at least put it back when I'd finished with it, along with all the inserts.

Naughty boy! I thought there is signage by newspaper shelf saying "Please pay at the bar". Still good thing you did put back to its rightful place.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

thanks for a good write up of what seems to have been a memorable crawl, reassuring that after seven o'clock pm seems to be a bit of an alcoholic blur, hope for us all

Did the train rides in between aid your stamina? I've found this in the past - as long as you don't stop drinking for too long, doing that's deadly and can stop you in your tracks (no pun intended).

Did you have the half chinky for breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Did you have the half chinky for breakfast?
    Oh no, that would surely have made me

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Did the train rides in between aid your stamina? I've found this in the past - as long as you don't stop drinking for too long, doing that's deadly and can stop you in your tracks (no pun intended).
    I think you're right, with each train journey between 40-60 minutes it gave me enough time to have a little snooze between pubs and build up a thirst without feeling that I was starting a new session.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Sounds like a great , if tiring day out , wetted my appetite , now wheres that timetable
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !